For some reason, when I submit changes for an extension, the page times out, and changes are not kept. I tried to get around this but changing my extension info via Bulk Extensions. When I click on Export, I get the same thing.
This is what is comming back: (actual domain changed to someplace.com)
That will give you the list of names for all of the files that contain the string “someplace.com”. The hosts file is likely to have it, but there are lots of other places that will actually “set” the hostname to that.
You can also run the command “hostname” without any arguments to find out what you computer thinks it is called.
I took a look this morning. There was a discrepancy and through the Freepbx System Admin I updated the hostname. It rewrote the Hosts file and probably others, but didn’t notice. I thought it was fixed, but now I check from my office (it’s a remote site) and doesn’t work from here. Grrr.
It does occur to me, though, that I may have to restart the box. Additionally, I tried using the IP address instead, same result.