Unable to register Cisco 7962 with Asterisk 11 server

I’m getting the following error for a Cisco 7962 running on the AsteriskNow v3.0.1 x64 distro (FreePBX v2.11.x and Asterisk 11). My phone is running the SIP42.8-4-4S firmware, and I shall attach my XMLDefault.cnf.xml and SEP$mac.cnf.xml configs below. (Of course, the two Digium D40’s work flawlessly with minimal to no configuration needed).

[2014-05-06 06:20:52] NOTICE[2107]: chan_sip.c:28073 handle_request_register: Registration from ‘sip:[email protected]’ failed for ‘192.168.1.106:49234’ - Wrong password
[2014-05-06 06:21:52] NOTICE[2107]: chan_sip.c:28073 handle_request_register: Registration from ‘sip:[email protected]’ failed for ‘192.168.1.106:49234’ - Wrong password
[2014-05-06 06:51:55] NOTICE[2107]: chan_sip.c:28073 handle_request_register: Registration from ‘sip:[email protected]’ failed for ‘192.168.1.106:49234’ - Wrong password
[2014-05-06 06:52:55] NOTICE[2107]: chan_sip.c:28073 handle_request_register: Registration from ‘sip:[email protected]’ failed for ‘192.168.1.106:49234’ - Wrong password
[2014-05-06 06:53:55] NOTICE[2107]: chan_sip.c:28073 handle_request_register: Registration from ‘sip:[email protected]’ failed for ‘192.168.1.106:49234’ - Wrong password
[2014-05-06 06:54:55] NOTICE[2107]: chan_sip.c:28073 handle_request_register: Registration from ‘sip:[email protected]’ failed for ‘192.168.1.106:49234’ - Wrong password
[2014-05-06 06:55:55] NOTICE[2107]: chan_sip.c:28073 handle_request_register: Registration from ‘sip:[email protected]’ failed for ‘192.168.1.106:49234’ - Wrong password

Also, I have another issue with any lines containing the “{$ext.line.1}” variable never get populated. I can manually edit the sections in the specific SEP$mac.cnf.xml file as its created for each Cisco extension, but that kinda defeats the point of using the FreePBX gui to provision phones. One of the sections is near the end of the file:

{$ext.line.1} {$ext.line.1}

Everything else populates correctly from the variable place holders.

I’m to the point I hate Cisco phones, regardless of how many other peeps have them implemented and running. Any assistance with this would be GREATLY appreciated, especially if it boils down to me missing something in the configs that worked fine under AsteriskNow v1.7.x x64. Thanks in advance.

XMLDefault.cnf.xml - 7962

–>

P0S3-8-12-00
P0S3-8-12-00
SIP41.9-2-3S
SIP41.8-5-2S
SIP41.8-5-2S
SIP41.8-5-2S
SIP42.8-4-4S
SIP42.8-4-4S
SIP45.8-4-2S
SIP45.8-4-2S
SIP70.8-4-2S
SIP70.8-0-3S
SCCP70.8-3-1S

SEP$mac.cnf.xml - 7962

SIP

admin
cisco

M/D/Ya Central Standard/Daylight Time 0.pool.ntp.org Unicast 2000 5060 5061 192.168.1.85 true 2

SIP42.8-4-4S

false false 0 1 0 0 0 0

United_States

United_States 1.0.0.0-1

http://192.168.1.85/cisco/services/authentication.php
http://192.168.1.85/xmlservices/PhoneDirectory.php
http://192.168.1.85/xmlservices/index.php

http://192.168.1.85/xmlservices/index.php

false

true true x--serviceuri-cfwdall x-cisco-serviceuri-pickup x-cisco-serviceuri-opickup x-cisco-serviceuri-gpickup x-cisco-serviceuri-meetme x-cisco-serviceuri-abbrdial false 2 true true 2 2 0 true 6 10 180 3600 5 120 120 5 500 4000 70 false None

false
true
false
false
none
avt
false
false

false
false

dialplan.xml

{$displayname.line.1}

{$ext.line.1}
{$ext.line.1}
{$displayname.line.1}
{$ext.line.1}

{$ext.line.1}
{$secret.line.1}

false

true false false true

As for the password noted in your post, I found that the FreePBX OSS Endpoint manager was assigning a 32 bit password and that didn’t work. I manually changed to a 9 bit password and the phones then registered. I no longer use OSS for the final setup of the phones. I use OSS to create the initial file, then I edit one of my working SEP files to match what I need for the new phone/extension and replace the file that was created by OSS.

See my post http://www.freepbx.org/comment/260032#comment-260032

TexNet,

No joy on shrinking the password to the extension down to nine characters. Performed that action via Applications/Extensions in the FreePBX gui, wrote the settings, verified the settings were saved in the config file (and then added the extension number to the variable fields that failed to populate), performed both a soft and hard reset of the phone, and still stuck with it attempting to register down in the lower left corner of the display.

So, any thoughts regarding my base XMLDefault and SEP$mac.cnf.xml config files? All the variable notations populate correctly with the exception of the ones explicitly notated as {$ext.line.1}. Might there be a new variable designation for the extension line number this field would populate with, and if so, what other variable names were changed/modified with the later releases.

Also, might I obtain a sanitized copy of your currently operational *.xml files to compare/contrast to mine? I would be most appreciative.

And definitely enjoyed reading the top of your http://www.freepbx.org/comment/260032#comment-260032 thread. My first “pc” was an old Timex Sinclair 1000, TI-99 4A, then a Colecovision Adam, a Commie 64 (which I might add is operational, can’t say the same for the five shoeboxes of 5 1/4 floppies), and then built my first IBM 386SX20 with a whopping 512 megs of ram. Man, how things have changed…

And should you find yourself here in the central Arkansas area sometime soon, PM me and I’d would be honored to treat you to a beer of your choice. :wink:

TexNet,

So, I would like to say that after performing a hard reset to that damn 7962, and then modifying its SEP$mac.cnf.xml file with the missing data the pre-defined variables failed to populate, I now have an extension that has successfully registered with my Asterisk PBX server!

The lesson learned:

1. My hatred for Cisco now know no boundaries.
  2. My love for Digium phones has increased ten-fold.
  3. Nothing worthwhile is ever easily obtained.
  4. I’ve gained valuable experience points, and look forward to “leveling up” with the next item in my Asterisk adventures.
    I do wonder if the password issue is Digiums/Asterisks way of getting away from any sort of functionality with the Cisco phones, or if perhaps the newer model Cisco series actually handle the longer passwords, and the older ones are merely becoming obsolete.

Regardless, I will say this has been a painful lesson to learn regarding these phones, and the scattered snippets of info scattered about takes time to coalesce into the exact answer for which one seeks. But again, I am EXTREMELY grateful for the assistance received with this latest issue!

The phones were never meant to work on anything other than a Cisco Call Manager. The Cisco small business phones (spa series) are very well documented and simple to provision.

SkykingOH,

I definitely shall not argue that fact, but once the genie is out of the bottle regarding how others make these phones work, some entities have a difficult time being convinced otherwise. I do commend those in the community who have offered assistance and guidance in making these work, but as a noob to this business, a simple step-by-step for even a mere basic configuration with these phones is greatly appreciated.

And yes, I have Googled what I think have been every site with any shred of data related to my aforementioned question, and was still in the dark in some instances. Some of the material on voip-info.org is good, but to me it didn’t seem to point out specifics as to how one gets started and succeeds with their unique VoIP project. It has felt at time to asking the firing order of cylinders in an engine, without specifically being shown EXACTLY how one must go about implementing such a task, but having all the tools present to do the job and not fully understanding their specific roles in completing the task.

I do understand everyones projects are unique, but there should be something out there to assist with something as simple as provisioning an extension via FreePBX with Asterisk.

I’ll get off my butthurt soapbox for now. The salve of getting an operational extension has soothed the pain somewhat. Didn’t mean any offence if any was taken. It’s been a very frustrating one year, six months, and five days before I’ve had a successful win with the task at hand, with the meager tools I have to work with. I do thank everyone here who does contribute to the flood of questions, especially from noobs like myself.

It’s not an offense issue. There are many good guides out, but everyone’s network is different and most people can’t seem to cut and paste the XML without making mistakes.

Also these phones are supported in the Commercial End Point manager so all the hard of work of the provisioning can be done with a click of the mouse.

SkykingOH,

Interesting. I had wondered if the commercial version of the End Point Manager was capable of doing that. It would be nice to be able to evaluate it prior to purchase, but I can understand the potential of abusing that capability. And of course, at my job my boss would need more convincing to drop the $75 to get a license for it. (I may do so when I get the scratch saved up)

And yes, all networks are different, and cutting and pasting the correct XML code shouldn’t be an issue. I guess for my understanding it would be awesome to have a step-by-step guide under the auspices of one being on a private network, with or without a remote sip trunk or other means to make outbound calls. Hell, if nothing else be able to communicate between two handsets. (and after this, as time permits, I may offer my contribution in that retrospect.)

Again, thanks for this latest nugget of information regarding the EPM. Look forward to our next engagement my good man.

With regard to the pricing of the EPM, how much does your boss value your time? $75.00 is not even an hour af an average technicians time.

I am stunned when I hear these stories. He should give you a bonus for having the iniative to save him the expense of buying an IP PBX. I would call a Cisco reseller and get a quote on an equivalent Call Manager Express with Unity Express and share it with him.

Good luck.

I’d also add that FreePBX EPM (Commercial Module) is designed to work specifically with the FreePBX Distro so using the AsteriskNOW (as starting IP-PBX system) could be not an option.

So does the commercial FreePBX Endo Point Manager not work/incompatible with the AsteriskNOW distro at all, or with limited functionality?

SkykingOH,

I couldn’t agree with you more. I don’t like to take as long as what is has taken with this “project” to turn up results. I agree, $75 is a pittance compared to other things companies spend monies on. And regarding my time invested in my new role, having known this information a year ago would have saved me many man hours addressing my issues.

And yes, they did look into getting the Cisco CME to backend all this. But in that case, the “Cisco Money Layer” proved too deep to traverse. Hell, the Digium phones I purchased on my own dime are better (and of course, designed to work with Asterisk) than these “enterprise-class” 79xx series. Just my biased two-cents regarding that mind you.

Maybe I’m wrong (Indeed I’m not 100% sure about that) but reading the very first sentence here on the Wiki let me argue that. I’m sure FreePBX EPM requires FreePBX 2.11.x.

Well, reading then here I understand that FreePBX Commercial Modules are fully supported (and tested) only against FreePBX Distro systems, not supported nor tested (but installable) against any other FreePBX IP-PBX based systems (in any case with some prerequisites).

So if you want to give it a try go with FreePBX Distro 5.211.65-12 as it will be the best way to use it.

I’ve mine FreePBX EPM installed on a FreePBX Distro 5.211.65-12 and it works flawlessly with fourteen old GrandStream GXP-2000 terminals, never tried to install on a IP-PBX Asterisk+FreePBX not “FreePBX Distro” based.

Honesty it was a very poor decision to purchase the phones, especially if new. While they are very high quality they are the least integrated of any SIP phones.

The Polycom VVX are of equal quality and well integrated with Asterisk/FreePBX.

I believe the overlying reason for the 79xx series Cisco phones is our campus is definitely suckling from the Cisco teat regarding networking equipment. And I agree that in itself is not a reason for the lack of consideration of phones that are either fully compatible and supported on the Asterisk/FreePBX platform, or are easier to config. Of course, this and many other decisions are made well above my salary level.

Well Cisco SPA series work perfectly so you could have gone with them.

I used to be a Cisco fan boy and I still use Catalyst chassis switches and VXR routers for BGP core. For the past two years I have been adding Juniper to the mix. We are using the SSG’s for CPE and have switched from Cisco ASA to Juniper perimiter security, IDS, VPN termination and SSL remote access.

Sorry for the delay in seeing/answering this post…

Actually… I have been in Hot Springs since mid February :slight_smile: except for a couple of weeks back to Texas to pickup a Compaq 7 foot rack and a 6000 watt UPS. I am a MAPS RV volunteer. We are a group that are affilated with the Assembly of God and drive RVs. We donate our time and expertise to help build church buildings, camps and other A/G based organizations. In 2011 the Arkansas Teen Challenge campus was hit by a tornado and it wiped out their main office building and damage some other buildings. They had two new buildings built last year and a team of about 8 men, and their wives, did all the interior work. My task was to hook up 12 buildings with network, Internet and a VoIP system. I finished my duties today and will be headed back to Texas over the weekend.