Unable to install Asterisk 12 on FreePBX Distro ISO

Sooo,… I downloaded the freepbx iso from here:

(new users cant post links – its the freepbx download page)

And tried the installation instructions from here:

(new users cant post links – its a freepbx wiki entry entitled ‘Installing+FreePBX+12+on+CentOS+6.5’ )

And upon running this command:

yum install asterisk asterisk-configs --enablerepo=asterisk-12

I get this:

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: asterisk-core-12.5.0-1_centos6.i686 (asterisk-12)
           Requires: libmilenage.so.2
           Available: pjproject-2.1-0.digium2.1_centos6.i686 (asterisk-current)
               libmilenage.so.2

So I installed ‘pjproject’ myself. But, an ‘rpm -ql pjproject|grep libmilenage’ indicates that the required module isn’t in the package. Quick internet search turns up this bug:

(cant post links - go to google and type ‘centos asterisk Requires: libmilenage.so.2’)

But nothing mentioned at freePBX about this at all. So,. has anyone tried using the FreePBX distro, and the FreePBX installation instructions, run into this problem and been able to troubleshoot it?

Why not just use the FreePBX Distro?

Thanks for the reply.

I will end up using RHEL for this for security/standard compliance within the company.

But just to see that the installation works – I am currently using Centos 6.5 from the FreePBX Distro, and I am using the instructions from the FreePBX wiki.

All one needs to do to get to this point is follow the directions on the wiki for installing 12 on 6.5 as mentioned above – which bombs out at the installation of asterisk. Are there any workarounds, updates, patches, or plans to update the wiki with working instructions, etc etc?

Not sure I do not maintain the wiki myself and its ever changing since those instructions are based on other vendors keeping yum repos updated. I highly suggest just installing the FreePBX Distro which is based off of RHEL.

Ok, no problem. However, CentOS is not RHEL. And as such, after lengthy discussions is still not supported by my current company ToS and standards. I’ve had the argument.

From redhat.com on the centos-faq:

While CentOS is derived from the Red Hat Enterprise Linux codebase, CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux are distinguished by divergent build environments, QA processes, and, in some editions, different kernels and other open source components. For this reason, the CentOS binaries are not the same as the Red Hat Enterprise Linux binaries.

However, I am usually able to get close to the final goal by testing with CentOS and ironing out the final bugs on actual RHEL. I’ll work through the issue, and I will post the results here once me and my team figure it out.

Thanks again.

You’d be best to compile Asterisk from source. The “RPMs” for Asterisk are taken from the CentOS repos, not RedHat and are provided by a community member that works with Digium. We do not maintain those repos.

As such you should have noticed when you added the repos that they were meant for “centos” as the directories are prefixed with “centos”. That said since we don’t maintain them at any level we don’t check them, as Tony said they could be broken. Furthermore if your company is strict about RedHat only then you wouldn’t be able to use these “non-official” RPM servers for your build as that would be against what your company “supports”

In the FreePBX distro we compile our own RPMs so the point is moot there.

At some point I will probably just change the wiki to do source, I advise you just do the same and compile from source yourself.

Thanks for the reply.

As such you should have noticed when you added the repos that they were meant for “centos” as the directories are prefixed with “centos”. That said since we don’t maintain them at any level we don’t check them, as Tony said they could be broken. Furthermore if your company is strict about RedHat only then you wouldn’t be able to use these “non-official” RPM servers for your build as that would be against what your company “supports”

I realize this. I explained this in my post above. Thanks though.

I’ve written a python fabric task to install and configure asterisk, srtp, jansson, pjproject and freepbx from source. Works well.

Thanks for the input, to both of you. Appreciated.