Unable to boot UC40

I have a UC 40 that we recently decommissioned from a store we recently closed. I wanted to reuse it for another one of our businesses but when I tried to boot it up it comes up and indicates a problem with the file system. It indicates “/dev/sda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY”

I really don’t care about the install that’s on it so I installed the USB drive I received with the system and booted off of that. I select the full install and then it shows:

Loading vmlinuz…
Loading initrd.img…ready.
Probing EDD (edd-off to disable)… ok

and then the screen blanks and that’s all it ever does.

Any suggestions?

Maybe it is trying to read from the internal HDD. Have you tried fsck’ing the FS?

I can’t ever get to a system prompt to do anything. Is there another way to run fsck?

You can try booting the UC40 with a gparted live USB stick and run fsck on the disk.

I am having the same issue with a new PBXact 100 - not booting – /dev/sda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY. (i.e. , without -a or -p options) , trying commands like fsck /dev/sda2 while it requires but no result just hangs on nothing happens, even if you try restarting many times same result, does anybody manged to solve this issue ?

The fsck can take quite a while, so are you sure it’s hanging, or is it just taking a long time?

It looks to me it’s hanging because i waited for it long time 30-40 minutes, and when I run the command on CLI nothing appears below it - like no command taken from the server - weird situation really.

I was able to get it to run. I had to create a USB stick with a CENTOS iso burned to it. After booting that I was able to select the option to repair a Linux system. I eventually got to a prompt where my drive was mounted at /mnt/sysimage.
I was unable to run fsck initially until I forcefully unmounted that drive. I ran fsck and it only took a minute or two. Rebooted and it came up fine.

1 Like

Its best to use a filesystem specific version of fsck verbosely

fsck.ext4 -y -v /dev/sda2

-y to answer yes to everything, -v so you can see whats up

But you can’t run that on a mounted filesystem so do that from your “favorite recovery iso”

2 Likes

so after inserting the USB bootable disk I see the options Install CentOSa and troubleshoot, what we should do after this any suggestion - step by step maybe

Hello @rnrstar @dicko @cynjut , I just wanted to inform you that I managed to solve the issue, by creating the USB bootable disk (CentOS7 minimal iso) and booted from usb then
choose Troubleshooting - Rescue Linux, then choose Option 1 - so rescue environment mounted on /mnt/sysimage and then wrote commands:
#fsck.ext4 -y -v /dev/sda2 – result : /dev/sda2 is in use, Cannot continue, aborting
or was telling other time
#fsck.ext4 -y -v /dev/sda2 – result: /dev/sda2 is mounted
then I run this command: # umount -l /dev/sda2 and # fuser -k /dev/sda2
and again
#fsck.ext4 -y -v /dev/sda2 which resulted with success showing some messages like : /dev/sda2: XY files, 4226/4333 clusters … and OK — system booted without problems.
Now when checking with fdisk -l and vim /etc/fstab it’s showing normal situation and values.

Thank you for the help guys.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.