Turn off sounds before the voicemail box

hi there,

I’m using freepbx 2.2.3 on trixbox 2.2.4 and trying to configure a custom voicemail box. The problem is that I cannot turn off the sounds before recording the messages. I activated the “Do Not Play please leave your message after the tone” checkbox and it doesn’t play back that sound but even with that option enbaled I still hear the following message: The person at extension [extnumber] is unavailable. Then I hear the beep sound. Is there any way to completely deactivate any sounds or messages before the beep signal? Eg.: when the extension either busy or unavailable (or the call arrives after the predefined office hours) just play the beep and wait for the caller to leave message.

thanks in advance,
Akos

On 2.3 you can choose that as an option. I believe you can do that on 2.2 also. It may be that you need to have a message defined to begin with in order to disable it vs. the default that otherwise gets played. I haven’t checked because I always have messages recorded.

Philippe Lindheimer - FreePBX Project Lead
http//freepbx.org - IRC #freepbx

OK, I see. Normally I would go for 2.3 but it’s a trixbox installation and I’m not sure wheter it breaks something or not. I know that ideally it’s working because the asterisk configuration part of trixbox CE edition based on freepbx. Right know I just want to make sure that . So, you say that I should record new message, make it the default for the extensions and than disable it? Or am I confused? I’m not a native english speaker, sorry. On the general tab I set the Direct Dial to Voicemail message type to No message and if I dial *1100 I just hear the beep and I can start to leave message in the voicemail box of extension 1100. So, 2.3 provides the same to voicemail boxes if I reach it after the office hours? It NICE! I will give it a try. Besides that I’ve seen the trixbox forum that somebody installed version 2.3 on trixbox 2.2.4. I hope everthing will work as expected :slight_smile:

thousands of trixbox users have already upgraded to 2.3. If I’m not mistaken, you can point to their beta repository and point to freepbx 2.3 beta 2 or newer and from there you can upgrade from within FreePBX to the latest seamlessly. I don’t know why they have not upgraded their production yum repository to 2.3 as well as their ISO. It should be a trivial change for them and they are not doing their users justice staying on 2.2 which has its share of bugs that are fixed in 2.3 let alone all the other great enhancements of 2.3.

ok, I will upgrade to 2.3 in the test box first, than the production one. As far as I’ve seen you made a great job! My only sorrow is that I have to learn the asterisk in the way you think about it :slight_smile: You have great scripts, dialplans etc. but if I want to understand the inner workings of freepbx I have to go really deeeep. But I like this side of my job. Thanks a lot!

Ah, and as far as I see I will stick with a fresh install of CentOS or Ubuntu LTS and install freepbx stand alone. trixbox guys made a great job but they tend to support the Pro version and they just wanted to buy a brand with A@H. I undestand this as they are a business entity but I’m not sure how fast will they release new versions and how long will they provide a CE version.

My guess: They intend to sabotage the FreePBX project. They are probably building their own interface a variant of the Fonality product, and then will charge for a fully featured version. Ever since they were acquired its been a disaster.

I just downloaded TrixBox Pro Standard Edition. I’m not sure that they are trying to kill the project. They provide the CE version to the community masses to stress test the asterisk part of the product but they want to provide something that they can directly support and collect money for it. I was just surprised that I have to have a registration and activation number which I have to use to login THEIR server to configure MY PBX! There’sa VPN connection between my server and their’s but it’s nasty. I hope that the enterprise edition doesn’t do the same. I don’t like this kind of ASP thing. I have mixed feelings toward them. If it’s real what they tel at the website than they are just providing a lots of code back to the community (and they provide the SRPMs just like RedHat does, so it’s a nice thing). On the other hand this kind of business line is the kind of business I don’t like too much. here’s no absolut wrong or right.

There is no connection between CE and the Pro line. They do not use the CE line to test anything for the PRO line because they use their own modified Asterisk. Up until now, they don’t really contribute back anything to CE or elsewhere from the PRO line because their changes, according to them, are invasive enough that they divert from the standard Asterisk and it does not work. From what they say for example, they have completely changed the manager interface, so you can’t use anything that talks to the manager that expects a normal Asterisk API.

Hopefully this will change and they will find a way to make some of this useful. As far as leveraging from the CE side of things and putting it into PRO, that would be hard because the real IP of pro is all closed source (in their data center) so they would not be able to use the code without sending back their proprietary IP which they don’t want to do for good reasons of their own. If you choose to write dialplans and application to their ‘hardened’ Asterisk (as they refer to it) then you might benefit from that, but otherwise, well…

Ah, I thouht that they providing code bac to the Asterisk community… as they should because asterisk is GPL’d software or at least one license is GPL’d. Asterisk code is dual licensed as far as I can see (GPL and a properiaty) just like the PADL codes (pam_ldap etc.).

Their mods are made available. It’s just their usefulness to the community is limited for the reason I mentioned. Even Fonality has yet to make their hardened version work with CE yet, for example.

Again, thanks a lot, version 2.3 works like a charm! Good work. I hope some day I can give back to the community.