Trying to configure Asterisk A20 phone with EPM - noob question

I am new to Asterisk and FreePBX, but follow directions pretty well. I was following the instructions at the following site
https://wiki.freepbx.org/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=4161715#FreePBXDistroFirstStepsAfterInstallation-ConfiguringaPhoneUsingEndPointManager(EPM)

to conduct the initial setup of my PBX
PBX Firmware:12.7.5-1902-3.sng7
PBX Service Pack:1.0.0.0
FreePBX 14.0.5.25

and made it as far as “Configuring a Phone Using EndPoint Manager (EPM)”, I purchased a desktop phone (model A20 from Asterisk) and also purchased the fully functional version of EPM. What I can not seem to locate is the correct EPM template for this phone set. When I conduct the “Network Scan” function from within EPM. The phone is identified as a Dignum brand, available templates only include “dignum_default” and model D40 - D80

The A series was discontinued and it never had EPM or DPMA support.

EPM supported devices are enumerated here:
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/EPM-Supported+Devices

Devices not on that list, are not supported.

ugh, seems like I have a worthless piece of plastic. Odd that Sangoma would have no problem selling this unit to me as recently as 11/28/2018. Guess I will purchase a supported device. Thanks all for the clarity.
brianb

No, you have low-end, unsupported phone that is as useful as it was intended to be. The marketing material for this phone made it clear that this was the lowest-end of low-end phones.

It still, on the other hand, will work with Asterisk and FreePBX. You just can’t configure it using any of the automated interfaces.

1 - It’s a Digium phone. Digium was VERY recently purchased by Sangoma.
2 - If you do the least little bit of research, you should be able to find (and should have been able to find) that this low-end, entry-level phone was never supported in DPMA. That fact was even used in the marketing of the phone. The fact that a company was willing to sell you something you wanted is not the fault of the company.

DPMA phone support in EPM is really new, like it’s only started working in the past month or so. The fact that the “A” series phones weren’t supported in DPMA should not lead one to believe that they would somehow magically be added to the EPM support list.

Having said all of that, you should be able to use this phone the way it was intended. It’s a cheap phone for a reason, but it’s still a phone. In fact, consider yourself lucky that you didn’t pick up a Cisco 7941G - those are even harder to configure than your A20. :slight_smile:

You mean the fire sale they had where these phones were being sold at about 70% off of the SMRP? Or the fact they had a big warning that these phones were not supported by the EPM when bought through their store?

They were/are very upfront about these phones in the Sangoma store. This just means that you didn’t read everything or look at all of the information being presented when you bought the phones.

Don’t feel bad, you aren’t the first that bought these without actually reading up on them or reading the information that was clearly there at purchase time.

thanks all for the feedback. Lesson learned. Just placed an order for the Dignum D40. As I am trying to keep costs low. Use case = training lab environment.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.