Timeout when activating a new install

Just finished an install of and am getting the following when trying to activate:

Activation Error!
Unable to display activation page. Error returned was:
Resolving timed out after 3620 milliseconds

Internet connectivity seems to be ok, with the ability to ping freepbx.org etc.

I also get the ‘free offer’ appear on the activation page, which appears to be loading after the page and I get the impression it’s coming from freepbx servers.

Hi, sorry to bump but continue to have this problem. I’ve tried changing the network setup and DNS servers along with opening all external firewall rules and still get the timout when activating.

Can anyone share the URL or host it’s trying to reach during the activation so I might do some specific testing. If an nslookup/ping/wget work to that host from the CLI what reasons might the GUI fail for?

Thanks for any pointers.

Have you submitted a ticket?

This sounds like pretty “specific to you” error and may be more easily solved off-line.


Including port 53 TCP?

DNSes usually use port 53 UDP but switch to TCP under some circumstances like the response being too long, zone transfers, etc…

Both port 53 UDP and TCP must be allowed…

Your problem might not be there but it is definitely worth checking (and fixing if it is not OK)…

Good luck and have a nice day!


I’m having the same issue. I can’t activate even after statically assigning DNS and rebooting the system… I also get the “free offer” ad.

The problem is on the DNS. Ver 13 it had by default as DNS, but ver 14 doesn’t put it automatically. You have to ssh into it and do a
nano /etc/resolv.conf
once you get into that file input the DNS that you want to use and the loopback DNS.

Wanting to add my ten cents…

I’m having this same issue as well. I’ve confirmed TCP/UDP for 53 for the network, the phone server is running on for setup, is not blocked.

I’ve downloaded and installed the latest FreePBX that came out this month (May 2019 1904). The DNS details in /etc/resolv.conf appears as (our inhouse dns),, and

If I knew what IP/URL the activation is trying to reach, I can at least test and see if it’s being blocked at our watchgaurd. Currently, my firewall tech doesn’t see any denies from the server, and the previous one I setup couple months back. Though, results very depending on which log filters they look through…

I also have a Dime and a successful response, after having experienced the same issue, I realized that I had to alter the DNS List to have nameserver first, then my other servers afterward.
I did this from an SSH Session and nano /etc/resolv.conf.

nano /ec/resolv.conf


This worked for me after a reboot.

Good Luck.