Terrible audio on fresh install

FreePBX 15.0.16.49 / Asterisk Version:16.6.2. Fresh install because my old one got a bit scrambled. The audio is not that good. Lots of clicks and pops and very short dropouts. No pattern to it. Sounds quite random. Everything else is unchanged. The PC. phones, network, and carriers are all the same. Anyone got a thought or three?

Hi @bigunk
Can you let us know the hardware specifications ?
Also, a pcap should be a good start to understand what might be happening.

How to get that info from within FreePBX or using SSH? Or can I do it from the console?

There’s this:

Current PBX Version:

Current System Version:
12.7.6-2002-2.sng7

Maybe this will be better:

[root@freepbx /]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 20
model : 1
model name : AMD E-350 Processor
stepping : 0
microcode : 0x5000029
cpu MHz : 1600.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 6
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf pni monitor ssse3 cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch ibs skinit wdt hw_pstate retpoline_amd vmmcall arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save pausefilter
bogomips : 3199.81
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

processor : 1
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 20
model : 1
model name : AMD E-350 Processor
stepping : 0
microcode : 0x5000029
cpu MHz : 1600.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 6
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf pni monitor ssse3 cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch ibs skinit wdt hw_pstate retpoline_amd vmmcall arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save pausefilter
bogomips : 3199.81
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

That CPU is 9 years old and compared to modern CPUs slow as hell. How much RAM is in this thing?

I cannot know that, run this command on your CLI: free -h then share the output
If you hardware has 9 years old, then that could be the reason, your disk could be failing, your memory as well, there are a lot of factors with very old hardware.

How many extensions are running right now? Are you using zulu, vqplus or any other commercial modules ?
Can you share a pcap file reproducing this behavior ?

In order to capture a pcap file, to the following:

1. Run this on your CLI: tcpdump -s0 -iany -w /tmp/capture.pcap -C75 udp
  2. Reproduce the issue (make a call)
  3. If you reproduced it, then go back to your CLI and press CTRL+C to stop tcpdump
  4. Share with us the file you’ve captured, it is under /tmp/capture.pcap (you can use winscp to transfer the file to your PC)

Understood that it’s old, but it was running quite well on 13/13 (or something close), up until a few days ago. I had to rebuild because a botched update made it so I had to be there on bootup to select a different linux load. So I guess the question is is 16/15 such a massive redo that it could cause this?

And, there are 6G of RAM installed. I’m running 5 extensions on a single instrument, with 1 trunk.

Okay guys. I’m beginning to think there’s something wrong with my hardware, as you suggest. There’s an incompatibility somewhere with FreePBX 15. It hoses on module updates, the audio is not so good, all kinds of indicators. I’m going to try an older version of FreePBX and see what happens. Stay tuned.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.