System Recordings via Extention

In FreePBX 12 there was a feature code *77 that would allow you to record a System Recording from a given extension. Doing this would allow the person doing the recording to press 1 to save, 2 to listen to it, 3 to re-record it. When we upgraded to FreePBX 13, this *77 option seems to be no longer available. Is there a way to activate this feature in FreePBX 13 or is there a commercial module available to do this?

No it’s all handled in the GUI and instead of dialing *77 you out in the extension and it calls the user and prompts them for the recording.

I’ve tried this method by dialing the extension from the Add Recording option in System Recordings. It does not prompt the user for anything. They just have 1 shot at recording a message and then it hangs up. I need the options to press 2 to listen to it, 3 to re-record and 1 to save it.

Put in a feature request for what you are asking for. issues.freepbx.org

I did this for our schools to record a temporary closing message in case of inclement weather. I used an online text to speech to create the custom prompts. But we used the extensions_custom.conf file to create this. Here’s an example for ya. It would do what your asking. Say welcome to the temp greeting menu. To listen to the current press 1, to record press 2. Etc. Hope this gives you a pointer at least if you are looking at going such a direction.

[from-internal-custom]
exten => 5000,1,Background(custom/Temp-Greet-Main)
exten => 5000,2,WaitExten()

exten => 1,1,Goto(playback-temp-closing,s,1)
exten => 2,1,Goto(record-temp-closing,s,1)
exten => 3,1,Goto(exit-temp-recording,s,1)

exten => i,1,Playback(custom/privacy-incorrect-custom)
exten => i,2,Goto(from-internal-custom,5000,1)

exten => t,1,Goto(from-internal-custom,5000,1)

[playback-temp-closing]
exten => s,1,Playback(custom/Temporary_Closing2)
exten => s,2,Goto(from-internal-custom,5000,1)

[record-temp-closing]
exten => s,1,Playback(custom/vm-rec-temp-custom)
exten => s,2,Record(custom/Temporary_Closing2:wav)
exten => s,3,NoOp(${RECORDED_FILE})
exten => s,4,Playback(custom/Temporary_Closing2)
exten => s,5,Background(custom/vm-review-custom)
exten => s,6,WaitExten()

exten => 1,1,Goto(exit-temp-recording,s,1)
exten => 2,1,Goto(record-temp-closing,s,4)
exten => 3,1,Goto(record-temp-closing,s,1)

exten => i,1,Playback(custom/privacy-incorrect-custom)
exten => i,2,Goto(record-temp-closing,s,5)

exten => t,1,Goto(record-temp-closing,s,5)

[exit-temp-recording]
exten => s,1,Playback(custom/thankyou-goodbye)
exten => s,2,Hangup()

Hi Tim:

I am not a fan of what you have placed in the from-internal-custom context, as it defines i and t extensions that are directly accessible to the from-internal context. While I am sure it works, what you have in from-internal-custom should be in a unique context by itself. Then create a Custom Destination that points to this dialplan, and if you then need a dialable feature code (5000) create one with Misc Applications.

Thank you very much. I will give this a try.

You will find extensions_custom.conf in /etc/asterisk.

I’m quite frustrated in how this has changed.

Previously, I could let a user record and replay a message until they were happy with it, but now the admin essentially cannot do other tasks while the user is recording, as they make mistakes while being nervous and want to re-record - this is quite short sighted!

I’m not sure I understand which part of this two-year-old conversation you are upset with. Perhaps starting up a new conversation and explain what you’re having a problem with three major versions later?