Symlink from modules

Not sure what this means

Error Symlink from modules failed

retrieve_conf failed to sym link:
/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf from dahdiconfig/etc (Already exists, not a link)
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization.
Added 2 minutes ago
(retrieve_conf.SYMLINK)

I also get a msg box error from java and or orical when loading
Isymphony should i ignore update or reinstall it does not seem to be big problem.
I Just got everything installed and searching for minimal setup
procedures before placing a call. any hints tips or links please
respond. does pbx take take your internet connection and produce
a dial tone?
thanks

Just did a fresh install of 64 bit BETA-3.211.63-5 (noraid) and have the exact same error. Sorry I can’t help though. Someone?

Same problem here, looking for an answer myself.

You have to look at what is on your screen:-

. . . .This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization. . . .

A very simple question to you is “was this an intentional customization”? the obvious answer in your cases is NO, as actually reading the FM is obviously way to much for you. SO JUST RENAME THE BLOODY FILE AS IT SUGGESTS, is that to hard to understand?

As many suggest and as the original poster claimed, start with a minimal installation, if you don’t know wtf Isymphony is, wtf did you install it?.

As to links and tips, did you actually ever go and read the “documentation” link, believe me it will answer all your questions, it will however not read itself to you, you will need an actual brain for that bit.

As to “does pbx take take your internet connection and produce a dial tone?” the answer is not directly, but it will in effect do that but you will have to JUST READ THE MANUAL PLEASE, !!! If you don’t understand it, read it again, we all did and it works, you didn’t and it doesn’t , do you get it yet?

Just in case you still can’t find “TFM” it is still at

which is conveniently linked to all over this site.

There should be a routine in the freepbx install script that renames existing files if they exist when FreePBX tries to create a symlink. I filed a feature request but I don’t know if anyone is going to do anything about it or not.

Now that Schmooze is running things trying to push people towards their commerical offerings I’m afraid more and more things will remain broken like this. It’s like Trixbox all over again.

For now you have to rename or delete the conflicting files. After you do that and press “Apply” in FreePBX the symlinks will be created.

Again, and I am no particular fan of pre-packaged distributions myself,

. . . .This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization. . . .

I believe that a pure install from the iso will not show that problem, if someone installs by another method, then who are Schmooze to overwrite your carefully crafted customizations? The information is very explicit, including the solution. Why is this so hard for everyone to understand?

Trickybox did things behind your back, at least these guys can make their own decisions as to what they did and what they want. Is that not reasonable?

I don’t want to get into this too much. It’s open source so really there are no rules.

This was not a problem before and if you ask me, whoever decided that they needed to create symlinks probably had a good reason but they should have also realized that it should not have broken things in the process.

No it’s not that hard. Neither are the hundreds of other little issues we have to deal with.

Some people are not going to use the iso and asking that the install script takes into consideration the existence of config files is not an unreasonable request imho.

Quote:-

. . .Some people are not going to use the iso and asking that the install script takes into consideration the existence of config files is not an unreasonable request imho. . . .

You answered your own post, HTF (H=how) will any scripted installer know WTF the implementer did already? it’s just as easy as that , you run make samples from an asterisk install and guess what? you get samples, not reasonable? You run a script that tries to protect you from your own incompetence and you are going to whine about that? I doubt many agree with you.

But, yes I agree with you in some ways, The obfuscation of code and the requirement of using pretty well Centos is retrothinking ad absurdum

Zend guard on non mainstream cpu’s is not available, so any obfuscated Commercial but free (go figure :wink: ) modules will be denied to non amd/intel processors. I made my point a while ago and was told in no uncertain terms to STFU and that I was wrong. I did STFU but I still think that maybe I am not the one who will be considered wrong in the long term, self limitation will always limit oneself.

As has been said before “time will out”

I renamed the file(/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.origional) but it has not cleared the notice.
this is a very low priority for myself as you may
have noticed the date of my last post on this thread
Mon, 01/28/2013 - 16:57
TNT-RTD
try not to raise the dead

Because you did it wrong!! , Believe me . . .

TNT-CTRE

(try not to continue to remain uneducated)

This whole issue (related to dahdi config the module). Has already been fixed. There is no more symlink and it simply creates a backup and places the new files. So I don’t even know why this thread is being discussed. Just update the module to 2.11.11 or 2.10.11 or higher and it will go away! I swear! (see here: http://www.freepbx.org/trac/changeset/15049, which is where I removed the symlink in the etc folder)

We DO listen folks :slight_smile:

Dicko please explain to me how “the requirement of using pretty well Centos” is true with the massive amount of work we’ve done getting FreePBX to install on other systems than just CentOS. Please see the work in: http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/IFG/Installing+FreePBX+GUI+Home

If you want another distro there then shoot it my way.

That is because the errors linger on the status page even though it is no longer occurring. It’s confusing the way it shows it because it makes it seem like the error is still happening. I think if you expand it you see a time stamp and you will notice that it didn’t happen since you renamed the file.

Yet another thing I have filed bug reports/feature requests on.

What about the 8 other symlinks that cause this error to occur if they already exist?

/etc/asterisk/sip_notify.conf
/etc/asterisk/iax.conf
/etc/asterisk/logger.conf
/etc/asterisk/features.conf
/etc/asterisk/sip.conf
/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf
/etc/asterisk/ccss.conf
/etc/asterisk/confbridge.conf