SWISS dial plan / Outbound Routes

Ok, after hours of searching the web & trying different configuration, I’m definitely stuck. :frowning: I want to set up the “Outbound Routes” in FreePBX. The most examples I found are North American oriented --> 001 prefix. Some are UK, but for me also not really helpful / clear.

For example, my Swiss number is:
00 41 (0)71 787 13 89

The zero in brackets is only used for national calls. So within Swiss you call always 071 787 13 89. From outside Swiss (in Europe) you call 00 41 71 787 13 89.

In Short:

• international call prefix: 00
  • country calling code: 41
  • area / regional code (at this number): 071

At FreePBX Wiki I found the following example for a normal route:

() + | 1NXXNXXXXXX
() + | NXXNXXXXXX
() + | NXXXXXX
() + | N11
() + | 011.

How does that fit together now?

Interesting question your one (Just as a reference for Switzerland download the “Numbering Plan for international carriers” PDF document you find <a href=http://www.bakom.admin.ch/themen/telekom/00479/00604/index.html?lang=en>here).

I would ask myself something similar about Italian Numbering Plan but don’t want to hijack your post, just point out to official country numbering plan’s documentation.

Would be great to have predefined Outbound Routes (based on ITU’s standard) for major countries too (not only for USA or UK).

It’s very easy and goes back to rotary phones with direct dialling, adnf is based on ModtSignificantDigits and how long it takes to complete the call with a rotary dial. In your case the second MSD splits national from

1. will always be international

0[1-9]. will always be national,
[1-9]. allows special calls and local calling within the area code if the local chooses.

In your case the 2nd MSD will be 1 for NANP 3 or 4 for Europe 6 for Asutrasia etc.

Very often the 3rd MSD will identify Cell carriers or other services, it depends,

Many countries have “closed” dialing where all numbers are the same, this helps shorten the call if you know it is done. that way

1NXXNXXXXXX completele defines all private numbers in NANP you can from your locale add

001NXXNXXXXXX for such a route
0044113XXXXXXX will uniquely identify Leeds in the UK
071XXXXXXX will always call St. Gallen
07[2-9]XXXXXXX will alway be a mobile phone

so build the routes as needed and take into account short codes for emergencies etc like 112. wherever you see a “.” in a dialplan it means one or more following digits, try to avoid them or you will need to wait for the dil timeout.

All this explains why New York has 212 as it’s are code.

(oops

In your case the 3rd MSD will be 1 for NANP 3 or 4 for Europe 6 for Asutrasia etc.

The first MSD after the country code can identify Cell carriers or other services to seperate them from land lines

)

And for completeness

07[2-6]XXXXXXX will identify all other landlines in Switzerland excepting Chur and Ticinno that are mixed int with "Special services, split out the longest MSD like 0790XXXXXXX first to route expensive calls appropriately, maybe you deny them.

Poor old Pparnassus, you have to work your way through probably the most convoluted national dialing plan in the world what with the Vatican and San Marino not to mention mobile phones:-

I look forward to your definitive set for . . . :slight_smile:

If you are using internationally based VSP’s then

http://www.freepbx.org/support/documentation/module-documentation/trunks

might help, the e164 “+” metacharacter might need replacing on those trunks and that at the trunk level, not the outbound route level, in your case your MSD 00 might need to be replaced by either a + or perhaps 011 (good old AT&T NANP style) depending on the carrier.

I know I’d work my way…

You said: “Probably the most convoluted national dialling plan”…seriously?

Please read here (ITU source).

I don’t see so much difference with the Switzerland one.

P.S. Thanks for the “poor old” mate! JaJaJaJa

Biggest difference is you do not have a “closed” national dialplan:-

Landline numbers (area code+exchange+number) are generally 9 or 10 digits long, although they can be as little as 6 or as many as 11 digits. Mobile numbers are always 10 digits long, with the only exception of very old TIM numbers, which are 9 digits long (though those are now extremely rare).

At least in Switzerland all non “short” numbers are +

(2digitAREACODE)XXXXXXX

so apart from all those “.”'s i wrote you are apparently stuck with a terminating “.” :slight_smile:

And yes, your (badly formatted) link generally supports my claim, not done quickly I think . . .

Badly formatted link corrected.

For “closed” do you mean “fixed” (fixed number length)?

Thanks guys for all your inputs. :slight_smile:

With yours and the help from a German VoIP forum (http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/) I found the following suggestion:

Short Numbers (including Emergency):
() + | 112
() + | 118
() + | 144
() + | 145
() + | 1414
() + | 1415
() + | 1600
() + | 18XX
() + | 1XX

FreeCall:
() + | 0800XXXXXX

LongDistance:
() + | 0ZZXXXXXX.

International:
() + | 00Z.

This config seems to work for several users in Swiss quite well…

Yes, that’s why all Voip phones made for the Italian market have specially reinforced # keys :slight_smile: