Support on SIP Trunking

Hi All,

I have installed FreePBX on a server and it’s currently on LAN. It doesn’t have internet connectivity or WAN IP. An SIP service provider has given a VPN connection and their service switch is connected to my LAN switch where my PBX server is connected. They have provided me WAN IP address for my end. Also, their WAN IP address. How can I configure this? Also, Should I add these WAN IP’s as a trusted network in the firewall. Is this WAN IP address SIP server address? Do I need another IP address for SIP server?
Requesting your kind help.

Thanks in advance.

A somewhat unusual setup, but assuming that the two WAN IP addresses are in the same subnet …

Add the address for your end to your existing NIC (probably eth0), with proper netmask (probably /30 or /24).

Confirm that you can ping their WAN IP from the PBX.

Set up a pjsip trunk with Registration None, Authentication None, SIP Server is their WAN IP.

Confirm that endpoint shows as available.

Set up Inbound and Outbound Routes.

If there is at least one number already assigned to the trunk, call in from your mobile. If it doesn’t work, post what, if anything, appears in the Asterisk log. If nothing, run sngrep and report what, if anything, appears there.

Then, try an outgoing call. With luck, they told you what number formats and headers to use. If not, use pjsip logger to see what they send you on incoming and try to match that.

If you still have trouble, paste the Asterisk log (including pjsip logger) for a failing call at pastebin.com and post the link here.

Hi. Thank you very much for your reply. I understood every single step.

Two WAN IP’s are in the same subnet /30.

Add the address for your end to your existing NIC (probably eth0), with the proper netmask (probably /30 or /24).
For this, my existing eth0 has LAN IP address that pabx connects with IP phones. My server has several network interfaces. So, I hope using other network interface and adding the WAN IP given to me is okay.

Then, is there any other configuration to change on FreePBX application side?

Again, thank you very much for your reply.

I have added a sketch of Pabx system for better understanding.

Update:
Now my SIP trunk provider can access (ping) my FreePBX server from their end. But I can’t ping their IP address (ISP Device Layer 3 switch) from my FeePBX server. Can anyone support me this in please?

PBX IP - 10.23.x.x
ISP Device IP (WAN IP) - 172.x.x.x

I’m really stuck on this. Your kind support will be really helpful.

Thank you

Run a tcpdump capture on the PBX and have the ISP ping your server. Look at the source and destination addresses of the incoming ICMP Echo Requests. If the source address is other than the 172.x.x.x you are trying to ping, ask them why there is a difference and which of those addresses your trunk should use.

If the destination address is other than the 10.23.x.x address you mentioned (your PBX has more than one IP address), please explain.

If both addresses match and you still can’t ping out, perhaps their firewall is blocking your echo requests. That’s a nuisance, but it shouldn’t prevent you from sending SIP requests there.

How does this relate to the 10.23.x.x and the 172.x.x.x addresses?

Also, is the ISP Service Switch shown in your diagram also your connection to the internet? Make/model? Do you have any admin access to it?

Thanks, Stewart for replying.

If the destination address is other than the 10.23.x.x address you mentioned (your PBX has more than one IP address), please explain.

PBX server only has 01 IP address (10.23.x.x)

Also, is the ISP Service Switch shown in your diagram also your connection to the internet? Make/model? Do you have any admin access to it?

PBX server don’t have a connection to the internet. That device is provided by ISP. It has WAN IP 172.x.x.x and it’s connected to my switch. ISP can ping from their end to my pbx server IP (10.23.x.x)

No I don’t have any admin on it. Will I need to add a route to that WAN address?

Hi all,

This is sorted now. Issue was in the service provider side. Thanks for your support.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.