Stuck at Loading all FreePBX modules

I just noticed - that’s the signature appended by the FreePBX forum software.
I’m using a Virtualbox VM.

I deleted that signature for you.

Sounds like you have a network issue then.

How could that be?, vmware on an apple perhaps? How is your network interface setup, does it go near your host’s interface or is it properly and necessarily bridged to an un-impeded network?

It’s bridged and you guessed it, Oracle Virtualbox on MAC.
Anyway, I don’t know what I did… it worked this time by itself. Other than saying “Merry Christmas” to the laptop, nothing else new.

I don’t claim to know much about freePBX, however I hope nobody minds if I make some generic comments which may help shed some light and/or provide some focus for exploration.

Of course, you probably already know these things in which case feel free to ignore me :slight_smile:

It’s been my experience that when things fail to work the first time, but magically work the second time, it’s usually because something, somewhere was either not initialized - such as a file that needed to exist, didn’t have the correct permissions, and/or an environment variable that didn’t have a proper value, and/or some other condition that needed to be met - such as a functioning network for example.

The first run failed to check for this “correctness”, but silently created or initialized whatever it was that was needed. The second run then succeeded because “magically” whatever condition needed to be met, had been silently satisfied by the first run’s failure, thereby setting up the second run for success.

So if the network is required - does the installation software check that the network is up? If there is a precondition for certain software - is there a check for it? Are all environment variables, local & global variables properly initialized and/or checked for acceptable values? It’s easy to miss things like this, and sometimes just a visual scan of the software can identify simple oversights. Other times… forcing invalid conditions (such as pulling the network cable, or setting environment values to null, etc.) and tracing the code is required. And then there are race conditions which I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you about.

Just trying to be helpful, not critical. Keep up the awesome work guys!

apb1963 - Not sure what the purpose of your post was in this thread.

I can however assure you that of the 100’s, perhaps 1000’s of installs I have done of Asterisk and FreePBX if it did not install the first time the issue, there was a valid issue.

The implication that the software needs a “once over” (that would be a long look at several million lines of code) to me is a sideways compliment to a professional development team that has extensive process in place.

If you have a comment to the developers jump over on IRC and go toe to toe. Don’t hijack someone else’s post with what in my opinion is self serving drivel.

While some think this is all “Magic” and things sometimes fix themselves automatically, I can assure you this is not the case, as to “race conditions” and “silently” I would contend with those unless you have certain proof, unless the issue of a scripts is sent to the bit-bucket, it should not be considered “silent”, if you look at most scripts , the linux install and the freepbx distro install included, unless I am mistaken, the “issue” of the various processes is sent to virtual pty’s, so just look at what is on them (ctrl-alt 1 through whatever) you should not be surprised that those who wrote those scripts also want to see what is working and what is not. . . .

( aquick check, for the FreePBX install which runs on 8 it would seem to be sending it’s output to terminal 9)