Store Asterisk Recordings On An NFS Share Instead of Local Using Symbolic Links?

First off I’ll just preface this with, I know that I definitely do not know what is right or what will happen with Asterisk if I were to do this, but here goes anway:

Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if I were to move /var/spool/asterisk/monitor to a remote NFS share (like a NAS, but actually a server), and then SYMLINK /var/spool/asterisk/monitor to the remotely mounted share at 192.168.20.240:/mnt/remote/monitor?

In other words, /var/spool/asterisk/monitor would simply be a symlink to the remote share and Asterisk / UCP / FOP2 / iSymphony / etc wouldn’t or shouldn’t know the difference? This way users can play back the recordings, etc and still have the recordings offloaded to a large storage server to allow keeping more than 6 months of recordings?

type ‘nfs share’ in the search box above.

Don’t do this as a symlink.

If you are interested in doing this, mount the NFS share with the /var/spool/asterisk/monitor as the mount point. A better suggestion would be to use /var/spool/asterisk as the mount-point. The only part that going to go sideways there is if you try to hang three or four servers from this mount point.

Now, having said that, I recommend against it. It will probably work fine until it doesn’t, and then it will silently fail and people will lose their sh*t when all of “their stuff” is suddenly gone.