Stand-Alone (Isolated) FreePBX Installation

I’m a community college instructor training new IT techs. I’d like to give my students experience setting up a basic VOIP system.

My question is simply this: If I have freePBX installed on a server, and the server and two compatible VOIP phones are connected to a properly configured switch (all on the same VOIP VLAN), can one extension call the other extension without the system being connected to an external trunking system like SIPstation?

I’m not asking for instructions on how to do it. I just want to confirm that it can do done.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, not a problem.

1 Like

If you want to do something very basic, you should consider using bare Asterisk. For a simple demonstration you can get away with a single step dialplan (just one for Dial(PJSIP/${EXTEN})).

However, as long as you can resolve domain names, you can certainly use Asterisk isolated, except for the actual installation, where it will load sound files and hardware firmware from the internet (although it is possible to modify it to get those from a local machine.

I was concerned that FreePBX might call home, for licensing reasons, but the other answer suggests that is not a problem.

I would suggest going completely off the internet, so you don’t have to worry about securing it, although, without credentials for a service provider there is going to be no financial harm

Know you didn’t ask for it, but it is nicely laid out here:
https://wiki.freepbx.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4161588

The OP seemed to be asking about creating a PAX, which is simpler, not simulating a PABX and central office.

This is not basic. This is advanced.

Sure it may be very simple dial plan, but no one compiles their own Asterisk and calls it basic.

Just like no one compiles their own Linux. We all use a distro.

The OP clearly asked to setup a VOIP system.

To everyone else, this means something like FreePBX, not raw asterisk.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.