Stable Version of FreePBX

Guys,

what is the most “stable” distro being utilized on the following page out of the"64bit" and “32bit options,” please:

http://www.schmoozecom.com/distro-download.php

Thanks…

Jay

To be honest Jay, I perceived you as a neophyte who was confused by what you got yourself into, as many do, and got your networking completely confused, you as yet seem to not be able to differentiate between Asterisk and FreePBX and what role each plays, the underlying network protocol is SIP (Sessions Initiation Protocol) yet you had not done your homework there. (hence my perhaps perceived as derogatory abrading of all the letters you were hiding behind). You came here for help, and apparently got what you needed as you now have a working system and hopefully a better understanding as to “How Stuff Works”.

As to your comments about envy et al. my nic handle is five characters long, yours is how long? so although you perhaps mis-think that we are all single minded around here, that is probably because it is a forum about FreePBX, I can assure you you that many of us are perhaps more polymathic than even you.

Anyway welcome, networking skills are sorely missing around here. Perhaps you can contribute positively also.

Stable-1.816.210.58 either 64 or 32 bit.

John

Thanks… I’ll give that a try. I tried the 64 bit version below the one you mentioned and I’m getting “unreachable” for my phones although trunk registration/trunk online is good along with random rtp port numbers showing up (i.e., 42564 as opposed to 5062).

I’ll let you know what I find…

jay

Concentrate on a PNAT/routing misconfiguration, plenty of posts about that.

Thanks Dicko. By the way, are you referring to misrouting occurring on the router or on the Server (with regards to “iptables”)? Fyi, I normally don’t touch the routing tables, but something is just “different” about this 1.8 as compared to the 1.6 line… :slight_smile:

Jay

Usually the router, some brain-dead ones like sonicwall will screw you up completely with their “SIP Helper POS”

If your server is behind a firewall the the server needs to rewrite inbound SIP header IP vias to the NATted network (and server) and the asterisk /etc/asterisk/sip*.conf files will do that with localnet={your local network/netmasdk) and externip=(static IP) or externhost=(dynamic name (or real dns name)) (depending on your ISP’s ability).

There are two connections needed for that Session to be Initiated by that Protocol, one is the registration/invite (by default on 5060) once that is made the media rtp stream will be negotiated on a port defined in /etc/asterisk/rtp.conf. If you firewall renegotiates the rtp connection, it better do maintain that state table statically for that whole session. There is no difference between how Asterisk 1.6 and 1.8 do that negociation on udp connections but if SIP over tcp is compiled in then you need to take into consideration tcp connections also.

Thanks for the detailed information. For now, I’m port forwarding all the ports required just to baseline everyting (i.e., 5060 5062 5065, 5000, 8000, 10000 - 20000). I’d actually gone in and done a “vi session” with the required files to set up NAT…

I had everything working fine last week on an old 1.6 distro until I started dicking around with “fail2ban” upgrades and that’s when I hosed everything. Up until then, I’d even put together a quick approach to running an asterix box behind NAT via CISCO command line procedure:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27558150-NAT-ing-PBX-In-A-Flash-Asterisk-via-CISCO-IOS-

My only problem now is that I have a stale entry for one of my remote phones that authenticated while I was doing a client vpn connection to check the configuration; because of that, the “private ip” of the phone (172.16.22.5) is showing up in my “asterisk info” instead of it’s WAN ip address (87.145.XXX.XXX). The final status is “unreachable” scatch scratch

Have you ever run into that before?

jay

Baby steps, temporarily stop fail2ban for shits and grins, but that is not involved normally with upd connections, it just monitors your asterisk log file for bad connections by ip, a bogus attempt will shortly be denied by iptables.

“Stale” entries are realy not applicable here, if 172.16.22.5 requests registration, and it is accepted, then it will be there, normally after a few minutes (default 2) it will be purged thusly “not be there” anymore. Check your work . . .

Perhaps you overwork your PNAT?, allow inbounds on 506? and maintain any session so initiated by your asterisk box dependent on that connection, what is 5062 and 5065?, are they udp or tcp? What is your “old 1.6 distro”?

What did you do in your “vi session” ?, what are the stated “required files”

I normally go in and edit the following files to my specifics (i.e., local network): sip_custom.conf, sip_general_custom.conf, sip_nat.conf, and sip_notify_custom.conf.

I’ve been running freepbx/piaf for about 2 years now and have just finished getting “immersed” in Linux command line. Suffice to say, I have a greater level of comfort now. When setting up (if my DHCP is thrashed), I’ll do the following and set the network parameters myself:

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
vi ifcfg-eth0

NM_CONTROLLED=YES
TYPE=ETHERNET
ONBOOT=YES
USERCTL=NO
IPADDR=X.X.X.X
NETMASK=X.X.X.X
GATEWAY=X.X.X.X
DNS1=X.X.X.X
DNS2=X.X.X.X
etc, etc, etc…

:wq!

All the “weirdness” I’ve experienced lately appears to have been precipitated by my Grandstream GXV3140, however, the stale entry has really got me confused…

Jay

As a :-

Certified: CCNA (IOS Security), CCNA (R/S), CCDA (Ntwrk Design)
CCNP (R/S), Security+, Network+, Server+, I.T. Project+

kinda guy, I am surprised that you care to use:

NM_CONTROLLED=YES

it subverts everything you express later ;-), but that is not your problem.

Believe me, it is not stale, When the host registers itself correctly from 87.145.XXX.XXX all will be fine. Use tcpdump to convince yourself.

I’m still somewhat new to Linux and all the controls, to include not being to familiar with the structure, so I’m just “futzing” my way through things at the moment :slight_smile: I’ve been sidelined from actual network operations for a few years, so my I.T. skillset has gotten a tad soft, hence while I’m slowly acclimating myself back into the fray via asterisk.

I’m still not all the way there on troubleshooting voice issues; for now, I mainly go by the “asterisk info” page as well as “log files.” Additonally, I’m starting to gravitate towards the actual asterisk command line; you might say that I’m “building my mettle gradually…” heh

Start with getting a good handle on Linux and networking, it will only add to your Cisco/Windoze skills, it will also open your eyes as to how easy networking can be when you hav’nt invested megabucks on a specious certification that did you how well? :wink: (it is also free, apart from your time)

There is nothing that Cisco can do that is not available in Linux, bsd does it better(read quicker), there are many things that Linux can do that MS cannot.

(Not that I don’t value the ability of facility with cisco command line, just realize that both of them MS/Cisco obfuscate on purpose)

JM2CWAE

Trutfully, the CISCO investmet has paid off… It’s nowhere near as expensive as thought. For example, if/when I pass a “professional level cert” (such as CCNP Troubelshooting) it automatically updates all my other Cisco certifications.

The big thing right now is the consolidation of infrastructure devices under CISCO for the DoD; having the qualifications gets you access to the core of some prime areas for work. Adding to what I already do with Linux allows me to be a well rounded system/network integrator.

Linux has its strong points, however, I have to remind myself while being “Pro-Linux,” I don’t become “Anti-everything else…”

I can’t disagree, when you are eventually well rounded , you won’t have to ask these basic questions anymore :slight_smile: and your investment will have paid of well, eventually . . .

Until then please feel free to continue to ask us, your less qualified peers, how to do stuff :slight_smile:

A piece of paper doesn’t mean anything until you are comfortable shoving it up someone else’s a** and ultimately making a buck out of it. (crude but true, just wait. But you really need to know WTF you are talking about, do you? )

again JM2CWAE

:slight_smile: chuckle

I appreciate the sound of your wry envy… It reminds me how taking the time to educate myself (and my applied 15+yrs of I.T. experience) evokes “calculated” overtones of “disdain” from others… Never ceases to amaze how those who’ve “corned the bulletin board” in their “specific” area of expertise pass judgement on those still willing to learn new technologies (but I’ll refrain from scoffing; it’s too easy…) heh

Again, irregardless, in some entertaining way, I appreciate your time (seriously); more “basic” questions to follow if any…

@Scott a.k.a., “Sky King:” The new freepbx distro is the straight business!! I’m loving the look and it wasn’t hard switching over from PBX in a flash (no disrespect to Ward and the guys). I’m looking forward to trying “iSymphony.”

Jay

Jay,

Pragmatically I will state catagoricaly that all my systems work, as do all my networks, and both have for years, yet your single one doesn’t yet. Are we correct in hearing your original angst and confusion here ?

Jon, Thanks for the feedback on the distro. The kudos go to the team.

I have to join in the cert discussion. As a 30+ year IT executive and hiring manager I always test applicants for practical skills. The truth is the certs get you access (due to the huge lack of qualified candidates) to mid level positions. Frankly when it comes to networking the average mid size companies are a mess. Makes it easy for folks like myself and Dicko to make a fine living.

I can tell by your questions that you have some gaps to fill in basic networking. You should be able to apply your knowledge to navigate Linux networking. I know we bust chops in the forums but I hope you take this constructively. The effort you are showing is admirable. I hope you stick with it.

Jon, Thanks for the feedback on the distro. The kudos go to the team.

I have to join in the cert discussion. As a 30+ year IT executive and hiring manager I always test applicants for practical skills. The truth is the certs get you access (due to the huge lack of qualified candidates) to mid level positions. Frankly when it comes to networking the average mid size companies are a mess. Makes it easy for folks like myself and Dicko to make a fine living.

I can tell by your questions that you have some gaps to fill in basic networking. You should be able to apply your knowledge to navigate Linux networking. I know we bust chops in the forums but I hope you take this constructively. The effort you are showing is admirable. I hope you stick with it.

@ Scott: No problems, here. :slight_smile: I don’t mind “consructive” criticisms; it’s the “misaligned assumptions” that wrinkle my collar (albeit occasionally). Nothing basic about my skills; moreso, it’s my “basic questions” about technology you guys use everyday (asterisk) that I’m unsure of. If you’ll look back at the beginning of this thread, my level of certification was never an issue, at least not by me; I just had a question on FreePBX technology being I’m not a voice engineer (as of yet anyways smile) and I’m looking at bringing FreePBX into DoD (Department of Defense) operations if not already; that’s how impressed I am with this application :slight_smile:

Again, I’m loving this package; don’t my confuse my not understanding how Freepbx works with my overall networking skillset (not known by forum members) I exude on a daily basis. 'Nuff said… We’ll talk more because open source is a big thing where I am…

@Dicko: Correction; my single one does :slight_smile: (based on a simple clearing of my VoIP phone config and a few setting changes) as will the virtual voice infrastructure I’m rolling out with multiple hosts (starring FreePBX) to various overseas locations in support of those activities that make conversations such as ours possible. How you choose to perceive me from here on out is in your corner. Again, I “will” have what you refer to as “basic questions” about your specialty item you guys focus your time on. I hope you’ll be willing to answer questions by folks like myself based on the merit the rest of us would like to "know what you know (look closely; there’s a compliment in there). :slight_smile:

Thanks to you both…

Jay