Speex Installation

I use the FreePBX distro, which does not include the speex16 codec. core show translations shows dashes, indicating that the codec is not installed.

I am using FreePBX Distro 6.12.65-30.

The only guidance I have seen instructs me to download speex, speex-devel, then recompile Asterisk. Is that really required? I am not comfortable recompiling asterisk from scratch.

Is there not just a module I could download from somewhere and place in the modules directory, similar to the Digium G729 codec installation?

Silk would also be a good option, but I can only find a codec module compatible with Asterisk 12. I am using Asterisk 13.

It’s one of the easiest things you can do. Recompiling Asterisk from scratch ensures your Asterisk source (on which other asterisk-kernel-level drivers rely) matches the rest of your system.

If you want a challenge, try recompiling a 64-bit Centos 7 from source. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the encouragement! I may give it a shot. Will report back if it goes smoothly. :slight_smile:

Just make sure you “yum install” all of the right stuff and you should be good to go. Search the FreePBX Wiki for more information on the “proper” way to make sure you are getting the right source for your system. @jfinstrom or @lgaetz should chime in with the “right way” to do this - I know I screwed it up once and Lorne really helped me get back to where I was supposed to be.

After that, it’s pretty much a couple of makes and you’re on your way.