SIP Registration Error SIP/2.0 403 Authentication User Name does not match account name

Hello,

I have the latest FreePBX Asterisk/NOW installed. I have Several Cisco 7940 VOIP phones.

My first Phone is registered in Asterisk just fine Using SIP001C58FBB173.cnf
My second phone is NOT registering using SIP001F9E263E01.cnf

My second Phone will not register due to: Error SIP/2.0 403 Authentication User Name does not match account name.

However BOTh .cnf files are EXACTLY the same exept for the line1_authname: and line2_authname: setting.

However on My second Phone if I change my line1_authname: and line2_authname: setting to the extension number it Registers!!!

This is not good though becouse users can NOT see a friendly name when the phone rings. And secondly this must be a bug becouse one phone works using a different line1_authname: and line2_authname: than the extension number and one doesnt.

How can I get the second phone to register using friendly line1_authname: and line2_authname: and not the extension number? It works on the first one!!!

Both Phones Use the Same EXACT firmare. I apologize if posting the below .cnf files is rude. I am new to this forum and am only looking to provide them for completenes.

SIP001C58FBB173.cnf (WORKS)

image_version: P0S3-08-11-00

Sip Config for Extension: 100 and 101

Line 1 Setup

line1_name: "100"
line1_authname: "Larry"
line1_shortname: "100"
line1_password: "1257"
line1_displayname: “Larry Casey”; # Line 1 Display Name (Display name to use for SIP messaging)

Line 2 Setup

line2_name: "101"
line2_authname: "Larry"
line2_shortname: "101"
line2_password: "1257"
line2_displayname: “Larry Casey”; # Line 2 Display Name (Display name to use for SIP messaging)

Phone Label (Text desired to be displayed in upper right corner)

phone_label: “Larry Casey” ; Has no effect on SIP messaging

Phone Password (Password to be used for console or telnet login)

phone_password: “cisco” ; Limited to 31 characters (Default - cisco)

User classifcation used when Registering [ none(default), phone, ip ]

user_info: none

telnet_level: 2

SIP001F9E263E01.cnf (DOESNT WORK)

image_version: P0S3-08-11-00

Sip Config for Extension: 103 and 104

Line 1 Setup

line1_name: "103"
line1_authname: "Judith"
line1_shortname: "103"
line1_password: "1531"
line1_displayname: “Judith Woods”; # Line 1 Display Name (Display name to use for SIP messaging)

Line 2 Setup

line2_name: "104"
line2_authname: "Judith"
line2_shortname: "104"
line2_password: "1531"
line2_displayname: “Judith Woods”; # Line 2 Display Name (Display name to use for SIP messaging)

Phone Label (Text desired to be displayed in upper right corner)

phone_label: “Judith Woods” ; Has no effect on SIP messaging

Phone Password (Password to be used for console or telnet login)

phone_password: “cisco” ; Limited to 31 characters (Default - cisco)

User classifcation used when Registering [ none(default), phone, ip ]

user_info: none

telnet_level: 2

Ok I did more experimenting. If I go back into the FreePBX web interface and change the display name to the username instead of the extension number and DONT reboot the phone from TFTP it works!!

Perhaps this is why on a Cisco 7940 you must make your .conf file extensions match but have the option to go back into sip configuration and change the Line name.

You need to take a look at what each phone uses and calls the configuration line that it actually sends to the server for username ID and password. It is named something different as you move from one manufacture to the next for some phone manufactures.

It’s been about 2 years since I played with Cisco SIP configs but if memory serves me correctly you MUST use line?_authname for the extension ID and line?_password for the secret as FreePBX calls it.

There are other lines to allow you to set the friendly display names on a Cisco but I don’t remember them off the top of my head.