SIP Notify messages not working because no symbolic link in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device

Running FreePBX 2.2.1, Asterisk 1.2.20, deviceanduser mode, we suddenly started having this problem:

When user receives a voicemail message, message waiting light doesn’t come on, though user receives e-mail notification and can retrieve the VM

Watching the CLI, no NOTIFY message is being sent. Some users get NOTIFY and their light goes on, others don’t. Poked around and found that the ones that are working have symbolic links in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device, pointing to a corresponding directory in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default. Creating a symbolic link for the non-working users fixes it.

So the question is, why did FreePBX suddenly stop creating these symbolic links automatically when we create the device and user?

???

After staring at this some more, I found that if I log the user off the device, then back on, it creates the symbolic link then. Phones that were working had likely been logged off and back on once.

User was definitely logged on to the phone before, they’re the default user for the ad hoc device, so logically the link should have been created already. But this is a pretty reasonable workaround, just have to log off and back on once whenever we set up a phone.

I’ve made a lot of improvements to the adhoc devices / devicesandusers mode in general in svn/trunk which is 2.4 and about to go official beta. So please take a look at that now or when it goes out beta. If there are still issues, I want them addressed. Things like hints and similar are not working much better.

Philippe Lindheimer - FreePBX Project Lead
http//freepbx.org - IRC #freepbx

I am having the same problem. The Voice mail notification suddenly stopped working.
I am using asterisk 1.4.6
Free PBX 2.3.1.3
Red Hat OS
Neither Grandstream GXP2000 or Linksys ATA’s receive notification.
I am not sure exactly when this happened, I do very little file changes behind the GUI so I don’t think is is something I did. ( though it could be )

What exactly do you mean by logging off and on the user?

Thanks for your help

Phoneeman

I am not sure why but it is now working again

Phoneenman