Simple click to dial set up

Hey forum,

Please don’t ignore this thread like half of the other Click to dial threads, I would very much appreciate that.

I want to open my browser, click a phone number, have the phone at my desk ring, pick up and be on the line with the dialled person. I don’t care which browser or add-on at this stage, and I’m perfectly fine right clicking first.

What I’ve done already:

• Got the mini-HTTP server running to the state where it gives me this output

[root@asterisk ~]# asterisk -rx “http show status”
HTTP Server Status:
Prefix:
Server: Asterisk/13.10.0
Server Enabled and Bound to 172.20.1.19:8088

Enabled URI’s:
/httpstatus => Asterisk HTTP General Status
/amanager => HTML Manager Event Interface w/Digest authentication
/arawman => Raw HTTP Manager Event Interface w/Digest authentication
/manager => HTML Manager Event Interface
/rawman => Raw HTTP Manager Event Interface
/static/… => Asterisk HTTP Static Delivery
/amxml => XML Manager Event Interface w/Digest authentication
/mxml => XML Manager Event Interface
/ws => Asterisk HTTP WebSocket

Enabled Redirects:
None.

When I go to the manager page and I try to log on I never get a positive response. If the manager page itself doesn’t do it, I fear no browser add-on will do it either.
I also don’t know which browser, which extension or which settings to use.

Can you guys help me with this?

• Jaapyse

You can try Zulu commercial module and browser extension.

Fop2 can do click to dial as well.

There are lots of “click to dial” systems, but not all of them are universal. In fact, almost none of them work with “everything”. Many of them only work within narrowly defined environments (there’s one that only works in OpenOffice, for example).

Note that any Asterisk based (Version 13 or better) Click to Dial system should be compatible with any version of FreePBX that is based on version 13 or higher.

Hi avayax,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked into Zulu, but I wasn’t able to find any pricing, it kept sending me to the Sangoma portal and I couldn’t find it in there.

I’ll definitely look into Fop2!

• Jaapyse

Hi Dave,

Our system is FreePBX 13.0.167, so which browser-sided solutions would you recommend?

• Jaapyse

You need to create a portal account to see pricing. We lock everything behind our portal.

If you go with anything but Zulu or Asterisk CRM (the latter of which may or may not do CTD), you’re going to be working strictly within Asterisk, but that shouldn’t be a problem. It just means you won’t be able to manage it from the FreePBX GUI.

I haven’t used anything for Click-To-Dial except the add-ons for VTiger and SuiteCRM. A LONG time ago, I tried NooJee Click-To-Dial and really liked that, but I don’t know if it’s still being maintained. I like the VTiger solution and the NooJee because they both supported by SCCP phones in addition to supporting SIP.

This can be done with a firefox plugin from TTTelecom.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adat-plugin-for-firefox/?src=cb-dl-name

Hi Tony,

Like I said in my reply to avayax [quote=“Jaapyse, post:4, topic:41871”]
and I couldn’t find it in there.
[/quote]
That was after logging in with an old ex-colleague’s account. Thanks for the help anyways.

Hi Dave and astbox,

I have tried NooJee and ADAT, but both request a restart of my browser and after the restart it’s still not installed. I looked into it in the case of NooJee (and I believe also Asterisk Click2Dial Extension) but this was because my browser was too new for the addon.

ADAT acts the same in that it doesn’t show the addon as installed in the addon store, but when I right click on some selected text it does give me the option to dial. Problem with that one is that I still need a softphone to be installed on my system, which is something that also gives me trouble because the PBX is in a different subnet entirely…

Welcome to IT life! :expressionless:

• Jaapyse

Using the browser doesn’t mean that you don’t have to contact the pbx to initiate the call. How do you expect to call someone through your box, with magic! :smiley:

Even if there is a webrtc plugin for your browser somehow the plugin must register with your pbx.

Hi astbox,

I don’t mind the PC connecting to the PBX, but if possible, I’d prefer to take the call on the phone next to that PC on the same desk. :wink: But, like I said, if it’s possible.

• Jaapyse

Yep sorry don’t think you can do anything. If you use the normal adat application that installs to your pc, it has an option to associate itself with callto links and pressing the link will make your phone ring and when you pickup the handset dials out the callto number.

As you are quickly discovering, the answer to your original question is “Not really”.

Click to Dial is application-sensitive and technology-associative. There are lots of ways to do click-to-dial and none of them are simple.

Zulu allows for this and when you click to dial you can have it originated the call to your desk phone not softphone.