Set recording location on Windows network via GUI

Hi,
Sorry to say that we are a wholly Windows shop except for a Free PBX running on a dedicated box, and my Linux knowledge is limited in the extreme.

I need to get our FreePBX 2.11 to place its recordings on a drive on our Windows network.

Could someone give me the correct syntax to set the destination for recordings via the GUI at:
Override Call Recording Location [______________________________]

The network destination is: \192.168.2.19\recordings\

Is that sufficient? Or does it need:
smb:\192.168.2.19\recordings
or something else entirely?

TIA

D.

Two backslashes. \\192.168.2.19\recordings\

Make sure there is sufficient permission to authenticate to and write to that share.

Thank you. Much appreciated.
D.

FreePBX 2.11? That’s a pretty old installation.

The double slash thing might work, but you might also need to look at using a mounted NFS/SMB directory share, and that might not work as well as one would hope. Try us and let it know if it works.

Newer versions do a little better with this syntax - I don’t know when the options were added to allow this syntax. Note that newer versions also have fewer known exploits for people to steal phone services from you. Just saying…

Thanks.

The syntax may be right, but Windows 10 permissions are now horrible to work with, so separately we’d come to the conclusion that we’d be better off pushing these files out to a Linux NAS and then picking them up from there.

This FreePBX is a RasPBX – Asterisk for Raspberry Pi with only 3 trunks and 12 extensions and has been rock solid, so I’ve not thought to upgrade it. This requirement for Recording is new, and there is no real storage available on the Pi, hence the need to push the recording out to a different storage device. I don’t want to put a USB drive on the Pi box itself.

I now see that the current build of RasPBX contains Asterisk 13 and FreePBX 14, so you are right - we should upgrade. Time to open another can of worms!

Cheers!

D

Since you are starting to get “tricky”, it might also be time to consider dropping the RasPi and moving up to a supported “distro” running either in a VM or on an “on-site” box with some real storage. That way, your upgrade path doesn’t have to start with “reformat your hard drive” every new version. Also, the media that is being used as the storage for the RP isn’t reliable after a few hundred thousand rewrites…

It is an idea. And a good point about the media.

The thing is, this RasPBX has been rock solid for several years. We previously had a dedicated Linux box for Asterisk with Digium cards and had issues with the box (over time) which became annoying. A primary prob was to do with maintaining power during outages. We’ve never had the Pi exhaust its UPS, but that hot box …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.