See Number of Used Channels on Grandstream Phone

I am struggling to figure out how to show how many lines are in use on our Grand Stream phones. I can see the usage when I log into the dashboard, but we would like to see it on the phones at a glance. We are using Grand Stream GXP1230 phones. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

If Grandstream phone works with phone apps, you can submit a feature request. Otherwise, I can’t think of away to accomplish that.

It doesn’t. Phones Apps supported list is here:
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Phone+Apps-Supported+Devices

1 Like

Which dashboard?

I can see it when I log into Astrix and look at the FreePBX Statistics under dashboard via the web page. I can also see it under Reports->Astrix info -> channels.

OK, given that - what are you actually expecting to be able to see and why?

Getting the number of channels in use is trivial. You have the source for the report in Asterisk Info. Now that you have it, what are you planning on doing with it? While it might be interesting, unless you have a POTS trunk, the number of in-use channels is “nice to know” but not of a lot of tactical use. The only thing I can think of where the immediate value is if no one is on the phone and you’ve got lines in use.

Since you’re using Grandstream phones, though, this is going to have to be a problem that you solve. It’s very specific to your phone and isn’t going to be widely demanded. On the other hand, if you have questions, please feel free to ask.

So if issue I have been tasked with is we have 5 lines that we can use. We have run into issues where all of the lines were in use, and some of the calls were non critical. A critical call would come in and there would be no line to ring in on. My superior wants the employees to see how many lines are in use so non critical calls can be wrapped up when the lines are all taken.

I am having trouble finding which parameters I should be trying to read from the pbx server to get this data so the phones.

Like I said, you have the source code from the Asterisk_Info report program; you can use that as the basis for finding the number.

It sounds like you are using a DAHDI interface (E1/T1/PRI) which is channel limited. If that’s the case, you should be able to use the DAHDI Channel Report to get that number. The issue is that you are going to have to figure out a way to display that information on the phone in a bunch of different modes. Specifically, you will need to be able to display the info on the “in use” phone as well as phones that are “on hook”.

The first part of this (getting the channel count) is trivial if you speak PHP. Running a script every 5-10 seconds to produce the number into a “place where you can use it” is similarly trivial.

The last part, however, is non-trivial and WAY outside the scope of FreePBX. This isn’t something that the PBX would control - it’s a function of your phones. I don’t know anyone here that has the level of programming experience with GrandStream phones that can do what you are looking for. At least, not at the phone level.

An easier solution might be to get an “auxiliary” trunk from one of the many SIP providers in the world. Set the system up so that, if your hunt-group is full, you route the call to your secret SIP account. The calls going out would be set up to prefer this auxiliary line (to keep the POTS lines open) and would identify itself through Caller ID as your POTS Number.

Thank you very much for your time and information. I at least have an idea of what I am working with now. I really appreciate it.

If you’re using DAHDI channels, this might help:

2 Likes

This worked perfectly for what I needed. Thank you very much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.