safe_asterisk error

I have done a new full install of the stable release that was downloaded last night. I am having the following issue.

/usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 145:  2861 Illegal instruction     (core dumped) nice -n $PRIORITY ${ASTSBINDIR}/asterisk -f ${CLIARGS} ${ASTARGS} > /dev/${TTY} 2>&1 < /dev/${TTY}
Asterisk ended with exit status 132
Asterisk exited on signal 4.
Automatically restarting Asterisk.

this is the verbose output from bash. I have looked at line 145 from the safe_asterisk file and all it is, is a {

What do I need to do here?

Everytime I have seen this before it was hardware issues.

Are you getting core dumps of asterisk. Look in /tmp and see

Yes, I am. I’m also, getting the same error with the new beta release. Currently I am trying an older version but would like to be using the current if I can fix this issue.

Yes even with 1.8xx I’m still having this issue with massive core dumps.

This has got to be a hardware issue. I installed and fully booted the beta with asterisk 10 into a VM with no problems. Is there a version of free pbx that will work on older hardware?

CPU: Intel 2.3ghz
Ram 1gig
HD0: 40 gig

I really want this running in a physical machine as I am not set up for virtualization, and the lag/latency would be much less. However, I do need to be able to link up my gvoice number for in/outbound trunks.

The other thought I had is, is there a way to pack a running virtual machine and install it to physical disk (oracle VM)?

Even if there was an easy way to V to P a session that would not solve your issue.

Old hardware is not a problem. My home system is running the current beta and it’s a P3 1.4Ghz.

You might want to see what hardware is the issue. Try disabling everything you don’t need in the BIOS (like the parallel port, sound card etc.) don’t disable the USB if at all possible as Asterisk derives the timing from it.

I’m getting this error as well with 2.210.62-1 running on a dual 866MHz PIII machine (Dell Poweredge 2450) with 2 gigs RAM. Signal 4 indicates that the executable being run was compiled for a different target processor model than the one on which it is being run. It can also be due to a corrupted function pointer that results in data being executed as code.

I have small not-for-profit client that needs this system up and running by the end of this week and this error is causing me to pull my hair out.

For what it is worth, I have compiled from source (asterisk-1.8.19.0 / Dec 10 2012) and asterisk now loads without error.

1 Like