Ringgroup with options to press while waiting

I’m working with a client to convert their asterisk (no interface) system to a freepbx. They have had many other technicians work and make changes over the years, however the old system is “wearing out” and a fresh, upgraded, setup is in the works. I will say that even though I’ve self taught for the last four years of setting up and making changes to FreePBX, I do not consider myself a pro. I’ve been able to locate and copy over their extensions, sip, and other various config files to my pc, to transcribe into the new setup.

The new setup is not live as of yet. Though most of the configurations are done, I’m hitting some interesting setups that I’ve been enjoying new tricks. Though many of the menus has me stumped because of one feature/funcion.

Short story of the “menu” is it immediately rings one set of numbers, like a ring group, for X time, then a second longer setup for X time, then once more on a third setup. During any of these, the caller is able to hit *, #, or 0 to break out of the ringgroup stages and go a different route, such as an operator.

I do not see anything like this in IVR or Ringgroups, nor see any menu that looks like it does this.

One of the menus of the config of the old system, to help explain what I believe I’m understanding and translating to FreePBX:

[menu-lab]
;======================================================================================================
include => specialcommon

exten => s,1,NoOp(------------Lab!---------------)
exten => s,n,Dial(SIP/1030&SIP/1031&SIP/1032&SIP/1033&SIP/1034,60,m)
exten => s,n,Dial(SIP/1030&SIP/1031&SIP/1032&SIP/1033&SIP/1034&SIP/1055&SIP/1056&SIP/1057&SIP/1058&SIP/1059&SIP/1060&SIP/1061&SIP/1062&SIP/1062m&SIP/1063&SIP/1064,60,m)
exten => s,n,Voicemail(1030,u)
exten => s,n,Voicemail(1030,b)
exten => s,99,Hangup

exten => *,1,Goto(menu-root,s,1)
exten => #,1,Goto(menu-root,s,1)
exten => 0,1,Goto(menu-operator,s,1)

You’re going to need to look at using Local channels for this so that you can have “IVR” functionality and handle the call in a “hold” state.

Right now your setup will Dial() the first group at the same time but during the “ringing” (while waiting for a final response from the device) the dialer can’t hit those keys and get what you expect. You would need to do “in-call” feature codes for that to work. Plus it will never go to the bust voicemail line you have. It will Dial() the first group, if that results in busies/no answers, etc it will then Dial() the second group and if the same thing happens it’s going to voicemail and using the unavailable greeting.

I don’t have any suggestions off the top of my head to whip up an example but I think using Local channels to call the devices is the way to go.

You can do this with a Queue:

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Queues+Module+User+Guide#QueuesModuleUserGuide-IVRBreakOutMenu

Thank you both, I’ll look into them! Will the “breakout IVR” allow the user to break out when the IVR is being played, or anytime they feel? From what I understand, it’s not the later?

Only when the IVR is being played. You can adjust how frequent it should play.

The breakout IVR from the Queue can only be triggered when the customer is waiting in the queue.

Got ya. Thanks everyone! I’ve got the Queues made and the IVR for them implemented. Looks like I’ll have the system pretty well copied over nearly exactly what they had before from the old, by the end of today.

95 user extensions, total 126 for all devices that use an extension. I still question who made some decisions of their previous setup and changes over the years. My biggest PBX system setup yet (NW Oklahoma, low population). lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.