Ring phone before SIP trunk seizes line

I’m trying to have my work phone (Cisco) simultaneously ring my home phone (on FreePBX) and my desk phone. Cisco allows me to add a number, but when it rings, it’s immediately seized when it rings my PBX. Because of this, I cannot have Cisco simultaneously ring my work desk phone and my home phone.

Is there a way to have FREEPX have my SIP trunk NOT answer until I pick up. From what I can see, the SIP trunk is immediately answered and ringing is provided by the PBX. This signals the Cisco system that I have picked up and stops ringing the desk phone.

Followme?

Let asterisk do the work, not Cisco which prefer you use cucm and the two dont play nice

I can/will, but I still need my Cisco (work) phone to ring. As soon as Cisco simultaneoulsy rins, FreePBX has the line is seized as it rings and Cisco assumes I’ve picked up on a second phone.

HeHe, one reason that few folks like working with Cisco’s outside their comfort zone , are you using SIP or SCCP/Skinny ?

Problem is at work my IT department is not experienced. They just recently move to SIP this year. It’d be easy in CISCO call manager to build a connection with my PBX directly to solve this, but it’s above their comfort zone. In the mean time, I’m just trying to get my Cisco Work Phone in my office to ring simultaniously with my home office phone. In the end, I may just have to do manually forwarding everytime I move from my home office and back to work.

Can you confirm that there is no way to have FreePBX ring phones without essentially seizing the SIP connection? I may have to get a POTS line as I can signal the PBX without seizing those lines.

Well, if you construct a context that doesn’t “answer” then you could probably do that , but as I say Cisco phones just don’t play well with Asterisk and my suggested suggestion is NOT for the faint of heart :slight_smile: @cynjut will likely kick in soon . . .

He knows me too well.

I assume you have an actual CUCM system at the office and a Spherical SIP phone of uniform density on your FreePBX. If that’s the case, you need to answer the SIP call from FreePBX without any “early” intervention. My guess is that your PBX is trying to catch FAX tones, or something similar, which is causing the SIP line seizure. There are other settings that cause early seizure as well, some of them are implemented to fix problems with audio failures in incoming calls.

The log of an incoming call should help troubleshoot this.

1 Like

Gotta love . . .Spherical SIP phone of uniform density . . . :wink:

It is not ‘normal’ for an incoming SIP call to immediately appear as answered. First, make a test call from your mobile and see whether it shows connected while the home phone is still ringing. If not, your issue with the Cisco is other than you described; perhaps there are some logs showing what happened.

Based on your previous posts, I’m assuming that you are in US and using a Callcentric trunk. If not, please provide details.

Do you have any Call Treatments at Callcentric that might be answering the line (telemarketer block, fax detection, etc.)? If you’re not sure, test with Call Treatments turned off.

In FreePBX, does your Inbound Route answer the line, e.g. Detect Faxes or Force Answer? Or, are you sending calls to a Ring Group with MOH or other option that would answer?

If you can’t find the answer source easily, describe your inbound routing, including all non-default settings. If that doesn’t show the trouble, we’ll need logs for a failing call.

Been beating my head against a wall.
It had FAX detection enabled and on a Ring Group.

You guys are incredible.

Thank You!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.