Ring Group Extension Deleted, Unable to Recreate

Last month, I took some time to audit & delete several unused extensions for my company. I ended up deleting the extension 123 (for example).

A user today informed me they are not able to do an internal call transfer to extension 123. As of now, 123 does exist in ring groups still and has several extension numbers attached to it. It does work correctly. However since my cleanup, if a user internally tries to dial 123, they cannot.

I’m trying to re-add 123 as an extension, however I keep getting “Extension number already in use by: Ring Group: Department 2.”

Definitely learned my lesson here the hard way. Without restoring to backup as a last resort, is there some way I can force create this extension?

Thanks!

I think something else is going on here that you might not be realizing how things used to be setup. There is no way to have an extension and a ring group share the same number and it sounds like there is a ring group with the same number that you are trying to assign to an extension.

You can verify by going to the Ring Groups module and looking at the list and seeing what number is assigned to the group in question. If it matches what you are trying to setup then you’ll need to use a different number for the new extension.

What actually happens when you physically dial the number that you want to use for that new extension? The ring group should ring.

If you get an error please provide logs here of the error happening when you dial that number.

1 Like

“There is no way to have an extension and a ring group share the same number and it sounds like there is a ring group with the same number that you are trying to assign to an extension.”

This! I took this project over from a previous hire and was not involved in the setup of this system. I was trying to figure out if it was necessary for 123 to have an existing extension # in order for a ring group to function. Thank you so much for this clarification!

A new user with a brand new extension reported that they were not able to transfer to the department ring group at 123. I ended up doing a test call with another user in the same department and had them transfer me over to 123, and to my surprise it did work correctly and rang all users in 123. No errors shown in the logs for that user.

Let me do some more digging, in particular on this new user extension. I’ll let you know what I find shortly.

Again, thank you so much for that clarification. I was not able to find a solid answer anywhere on if the ring group needed an extension # attached. Hopefully this post helps someone in the future :slight_smile:

Thankfully this ended up being user error. New hire was trying to transfer via the internal directory which I have disabled. Thank you very much for your comment dobrosavljevic!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.