Ring group exclusions

Hi All,

I have a ring group defined and that works fine, but if a phone within the ring group calls the ring group, the calling phone also rings. As you can imagine, this is pretty annoying.

Is there a way to configure extensions or ring groups so when a member of the group calls the group, the initiating phone doesn’t ring?

I’m imaging a bunch of ring groups where a given extension is omitted, but surely there’s a better way to handle it.

Thank you

Do you have “Skip busy agents” set?

Are you using Call Waiting?

Are you using multiple line appearances on the phones?

I’m not using Skip Busy Agent or call waiting and some phones have multiple lines.

I think the tricky part is that just because another phone might be in use, I would still want it to ring those phones. I just don’t want the phone initiating the call to ring.

Thank you

I don’t think you can get here from there without custom context code.

If you Skip Busy Agents, then any phone that’s not available will not ring. This makes sense to me. If, on the other hand, you have three “lines” on that phone you’re calling from that all terminate in that Ring Group, I don’t think there’s anything to keep those other lines from ringing.

Ring Groups are really ignorant. All they really do is monitor a bunch of ringing phones and if no one answers, send to call to Voice Mail. To be clear, though, I doubt that a queue would work any better in this case.

The point of the system is to get a call and send it to all of the possible places it can go. Anything less would violate my rule of least astonishment…

Someone else may have a solution for you, but I don’t think you’re going to get where you want to go from a Ring Group.

I was afraid of that. Is there a better way to ring multiple phone other than with ring groups?

I can think of a way to do this. You would need to define a dial prefix for extension numbers with custom dialplan that would prohibit an extension from calling itself. Then you need to populate the ring group with the prefixed extensions instead of the extension. Something similar to what is described here: Cascade dialplan for dialing emergency engineers as quick as possible

Thank you. I’ll take a look at it!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.