Retrieve sip credential from Telnor/Telmex alg modem/router

hi does somebody knows how to retrieve sip credential from Telnor/Telmex alg modem/router ?

On this 2018 port a guy mentioned that he was able to figure out but he does’t describe how he did it (and New replies are no longer allowed.):

Thanks!

1 Like

Reaching out to the vendor to ask them to give it to you is not an option?

mexican carriers don’t do that for customers

1 Like

Ahh ok, yea in that case I don’t have a suggestion for you.

Hi. I am the author of the original post.

Back in the day, I used a UART connection to open a terminal directly on the model amd I was able to get access to the config from the console, but since then, Telemx have locked down the console and I can’t access it any more.

A few years ago, Telemex updated the VoIP passwords, and rolled out the new passwords to their end-user equipment. Of course, becuase my equipment was in bridge mode and I was using the credentials within FreePBX, I did not immediately receive this update and my credentials became invalid.

To obrain the latest credentials this is what I did…

• Reset my CPE to factory settings and made sure that the VoIP lines were working correctly on the CPE (using a standard, basic phone)
  • Download a configuartaion backup from within the Telmex CPE interface
  • Decrypt the config backup using this tool> Nokia/Alcatel-Lucent router backup configuration tool · GitHub
  • Search the contents of the backup to obtain the SIP credentials

I don’t have access to a config file at the moment, but the SIP username should be something like:
[email protected] so searching for “ims.telmex.com” should help you find the details within the decrypted XML config file.

Good luck

Yep! -I feel your pain!

1 Like

If it helps, here are my latest pjSIP config settings

Don’t forget, as mentioned in my original post, you also need to change the SIPagent to something other than FreePBX or Asterisk because Telmex seems to be blocking this. Remember, in my previous example I was modfying the SIPagent for ChanSIP, but if you are going to use pjSIP for a more modern install, then you will need to make sure you are modifying the SIPagent in a different way. I forget how I did it, but you should be able to find out how to do it somehwere on the forum.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to work out what agent the CPE reports itself as.

In these examples I have replaced my phone number with zeros (0000)

1 Like

thank you so much for the detailed reply, what agent did you use at the end that was not blocked by Telmex?

My trunk config only gives me the pjsip option, so I will find how to modify the agent with pjsip.

Also my modem/router its a Huawei, this was the only tool that I found to decrypt the huawei router config file, not sure if it will work I will test it tonigth after work. If for some reason the tool I found does not work, what else can I try to decrypt the config?

Thanks!!!

Here you can see me discussing the SIP Agent (but for ChanSIP), but you can adapt to change the agent for pjsip>>

I don’t know for sure. Maybe the config file is not even ecrpyted. I would try downloading the config file and checking what you mind. If you discover it is encrypted, then you may have to search online for a way to decrpyt the information.

1 Like

It is definitively encrypted, I cant even read the contents of “hw_ctree.xml” (attached)

hw_ctree.xml.tgz (39.2 KB)

If somebody knows how to decrypt the huawei modem config please let me know

thanks!

Where did you get this file from? Is this the file that gets downloaded when you choose to “save configuration” or “backup configuration”???

You best hope of finding a solution will be providing as much information you can (maybe including photos) about the router you have. For example…

• Brand
  • Model
  • Version
  • ROM/RAM size
  • CPU spec

Also, screen shots from an “About device” config page could also help.

Try and find out if the same hardware is used by any other brands of router. Sometimes the hardware is simply rebranded from another manufacturer and you might find more support online for one of the other brands.

I would say the only legitimate way is to ask the network operator for the credentials. If you get caught out using unauthorised equipment, you risk being disconnected without notice or worse.

That’s a fair point.

Personally I’m not using any different equipment. I am…

• obtaining information stored in a file downloaded from the UI of the isp device
  • placing the ISP device into bridge mode (which disabled their internal VOIP client and disables my ability to use the phone line I have paid for
  • using the obtained information to connect to their voip server to regain access to my phone line

So I hope the ISP won’t be too dissatisfied with that.