I recently purchased 2 Cisco 7940’s with the latest SIP firmware already pre-installed. One of these phones in now located in Minnesota and one in Colorado. The one in Minnesota is working fine with Freepbx and was a breeze to setup. The freepbx machine is hosted on a raspberry pi 3 with ethernet in Colorado. The phone in Colorado will not send a ping to the freepbx server located on the local network. The log files show nothing about this phone trying to ping, the other phone is pinging via the external IP address. The local phone just will not connect. Any advice or help is appreciated. I have read a-lot about TFTP being required however I have no idea on how to do this.
I am new to Freepbx as well as Asterisk. Thank you all!
configure manual not tftp check you network with other phone or softphone and try
I have been configuring manually and can confirm that the softphone using x-lite does work.
By “ping” I assume that you mean an ICMP echo request (what the ping command in Windows, Linux or the phone’s command line does).
A router normally does not forward ICMP but handles it internally, so when the MN phone pings the CO PBX on its public IP address, it’s actually the router that is answering. However, a ping from the CO phone must be answered by the PBX and a firewall may be blocking that.
Can the CO phone ping the router’s LAN address? If not, check the network settings. If that’s ok, can the PBX ping the local phone? If so, a firewall is likely blocking the other direction (and also likely blocking SIP). Possibly, https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98936 may help. If not, post details about FreePBX version, OS version, etc.
What log file in what device? Normally, a ping wouldn’t cause anything to be logged.
Have you set TCP as the transport on Freepbx? Cisco phones only use TCP. Remember also that the default user password on Freepbx is around 13 characters where your phone only supports a maximum of 8.
By log files I mean the ones located in asterisk I can see the MN phone in the logs when it connects and sends a signal. I will look for a firewall issue today.
@Stewart1 If not, post details about FreePBX version, OS version, etc.
So I have tried the firewall, and nothing, I also tried changing the firewall settings on the xfinity router to allow ICMP. My system specs are: Raspberry pi 3 hardwired. FreePBX: 184.108.40.206 Asterisk: 13.18.3.
We downloaded our files from: http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/
@Murphyprecht Have you set TCP as the transport on Freepbx? Cisco phones only use TCP. Remember also that the default user password on Freepbx is around 13 characters where your phone only supports a maximum of 8.
Yes I have already done both of those.
That would allow the MN user to ping your public IP to determine whether or not your connection to Comcast is working, but it’s not relevant to troubleshooting the present problem – the path between phone and Pi should not involve the router at all (except possibly as a LAN switch).
I don’t know whether the Xfinity router can “hairpin” properly. If you configured the CO phone to use your public IP address (or domain name), set it to use the private IP address of the Pi instead.
If you haven’t already done so, temporarily shut down the CO phone and test with X-Lite using the same extension, to confirm that you didn’t accidentally mis-configure the extension in FreePBX.
Confirm that you can ping the CO phone from the Pi.
If you still have trouble: What error messages, if any, appear on the phone? Can you get to the phone’s command line with telnet or ssh (PuTTY)?
I am not sure how to ping the CO phone from the Pi, and I have been keeping the local settings in the line 1 settings the pi’s local IP (10.0.0.166) and made sure I had all the correct ports open for that. The phone from what I see automatically pulls all info from the Comcast box like IP - DNS servers - etc… and loads it into the network config.
And I went ahead and tested x-lite again and it is still able to connect using the local IP (10.0.0.166)
So after a while I found the issue, I had to change the local phone to chan_sip and in the extension settings change the nat mode to Never. This solved the issue completely! These phones are a pain but once they work they really are great!
This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.