Requirement on hardware?

Hello I’m trying to figure out the minimum or maximum requirements to run 30 Extensions freepbx system? I now have a virtual system setup but I don’t know how much cpu and memory as well as hard drive to give it.

Joseph

That would run fine on

25GB hardrive 1cpu 1G memory ($5.00 or less per month from lots of cloud providers)

1 Like

:point_up_2:this will be a good start. Watch the performance of your system. It should be easy to upgrade CPU, memory and hard drive in a virtual system.

Hello dick0 and moussa854 I’m hosting it here locally useing proxmox. The specs we have on the server is 32GB of memory 2TB raid 1 mirroring and 12 core CPU. incase something happens to one of the drives.

Right now i have one VM with 4 cores and 300GB of the drive and 16GB of memory for backup storage.

One other Vm I’m working on is a minecraft server for my brother that will be 3 cores with 4GB of memory and 500GB of hard drive.

Now this will leave me with 5 cores left, 12 Gb of memory and 1200Gb of hard drive left. Now i was thinking for freepbx to do 2 cores with 4GB of memory and 250GB of hard drive would that be okay?

I have enough cpu and memory if i need to increase it.

Joseph

1 Like

https://www.freepbx.org/store/freepbx-appliances/
This is what Sangoma recommend for the hardware specs needed for the number of extensions. You could probably set more extensions for such hardware specs.

About 1000% too much but you would be good to go

Sorry lol

Thank you for the information I never saw the appliance link. All of them say quadcore cpu they have but 2 GB of memory120GB HDD and up.

Nice thig about proxmox, clone 2 machines (you have plenty of resources) , have a failover solution for free :slight_smile:

Yes i just saw that a few days ago. I’m still new to virtualization somewhat. However I’m deeply impressed on what it can do. And learning more an more about it.

If you want to go that route, look at glusterfs locally over zfs as a starting point for proxmox

I will look into that thank you dicko.

Unless you have thousands, the number of extensions does not affect the required horsepower; very few resources are needed to process registrations, message waiting, etc.

The system load is dependent on the number of concurrent calls and the processing required for each call. Per-call processing can vary by more than a factor of ten.

By far, the most expensive per-call operation is transcoding a complex codec such as Opus. Recording, encryption, listening for in-call DTMF and playback of menus and music are significant loads, but each is much smaller than transcoding.

For example, a Raspberry Pi 3 can handle about 20 concurrent calls, if it is merely passing unmodified audio between extensions and trunks. However, if the extensions are using Opus, encrypted, calls are recorded and in-call features are enabled, two concurrent calls is likely the limit.

My guess for a 2-core recent Intel processor is 10 to 100 calls, depending on codecs, etc.

I don’t recommend single core for even the smallest system, because FreePBX is not good at giving Asterisk priority; making changes with UCP or the admin GUI can cause choppy voice, even with only one call in progress.

Hello Stewart1 i only have 4 phone lines here total.

So you don’t have to worry about CPU at all. 4 GB of RAM is also plenty. However, if you record all your calls and keep them for years, figure out how much disk that will take. Of course, you could set up the system to move old recordings elsewhere and free up the space.

Hello Stewart1 no call recording. But the rest sounds okay.

OT, “Recommended Call Capacity” in those FreePBX appliances, is it concurrent calls or what?

I think so, let see if Lorne @lgaetz or someone from Sangoma can confirm this answer.

I have virtual system and I can change the CPU / memory based on user experience (UCP load time, connectivity, latency)

Yes, concurrent calls.

1 Like

Hello i only have 4 lines total so the most calls incoming or outgoing are 4 at a time. But there might be calls between the extensions.