Replacing very old FreePBX server (v2x) with new hardware and latest FreePBX (v16.x)

I’ve been tasked with standing up a new Asterisk server running FreePBX v16.0.40.7. My existing Asterisk is on FreePBX v2.11.0.38. It seems obvious to me that I can’t simply run a backup on the old one and restore it on the new one given the massive version mismatch. I’m hesitant to try to update the existing server (if it’s even possible at this point) to get a backup from a similar version as the new server is on just because I don’t want to risk bricking the existing server before the new one is ready. Can anybody share advice on how I should proceed?

Apologies for the vagueness of my post. I’m about as green as it gets with Asterisk/FreePBX.

Thanks in advance.

Evan

Some have actually had good luck backing up a very old system and restoring it to the newest version as the Backup and Restore module in version 16 was meant to try and bring systems back that are quite old.

Not sure if the specific version that you have would work but if you can take a backup on your old system it won’t actually hurt to stand up a new system and try to restore and see what works and what doesn’t.

It might not be a 100% restore but it might be good enough to bring it to a point where it’s pretty easy to do whatever didn’t work manually.

1 Like

I was hesitant to even try but after your reply I did and it appears to be successful! I don’t know enough about the build to confirm that EVERYTHING restored but all the important stuff is there. Thanks for the nudge!

Starting in version 15, the backup and restore module has supported restoring from previous versions, as old as 2.9 (ish)

https://sangomakb.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PG/pages/20709570/Backup+and+Restore+Module

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.