Remote extension is registered but shows as a different extension in BLF

FreePBX 13.0.195.1

We user separate Users and Devices. We have set up our system so that each internal user has two devices, an onsite and an offsite. Users have identities in the range Ynn where Y is the site prefix and nn is the extension number. For example, 5521 is associated with device 5521 (onsite) and 9921 (offsite). When a call is made to 5521 then 9921 also rings if it is registered. This setup works for everyone except one user (5521).

User (5521) has their internal deskset (5521) disconnected. They are working remotely and have just set up a Jitsi softphone as device/account 9921. They can connect to FreePBX and place calls to other extensions. However, the BLF field shows their call originating from 5512 instead of 9921. Calls to 5521 are given the user at 5521 is not available message. Calls to 9921 get the same response. Calls to 5512 go through as expected. Calls from 5512 go through and the BLF field for that extension lights us as expected.

# asterisk -r  # CLI interface to PBX
Asterisk 13.19.1, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2014, Digium, Inc. and others.
. . .
CLI> sip show peers
. . .
5521                     (Unspecified)                            D  No         No          A  0        UNKNOWN                                      
. . .
9921/9921            99.255.53.67                            D  Auto (Yes) Auto (Yes)  A  60169    OK (25 ms) 
. . .                                  

I have desk checked the user and device configuration for this user / device combination against two other user /device combinations that are known to work. I cannot see any difference beyond the user / device numbers themselves.

It seems that this might be some sort of configuration issue at the client end. It almost looks like a transcription error given the obvious relationship between 5512 and 5521. But I cannot conceive how that could be messed up in the client (Jitsi) and still work.

Does anyone have any idea of how this might have happened? Has anyone even seen this sort of thing before?

If your only use case for using D&U is to have multiple devices per user, then you would probably be better served by using single psjsip extensions with multiple contacts. All devices just register using the same sip credentials and all extensions behave the same.

Well, a this point I am not going to tear down the entire PBX. When it was set up the advice given by the FreePBX folks was the user/device separation was recommended. I was not in any position to know any better so that is what we have now. And it has not been troublesome in practice.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.