Remote extension doesn't register (using Zoiper classic softphone)

Hello All:
I have FreePBX 2.9 (Asterisk Ver. 10.12.1) running with:

1. Two ATA extensions (connected thru LinkSys PAP2)
  2. One softphone extension (using Linphone)
  3. One trunk subscribed thru VOIP.MS for outbound/inbound calls
  4. All extension are configured as SIP device
  5. All extensions are working fine to make and receive calls (internal, outbound, inbound)

Now, I want to setup an extension on my laptop using Zoiper classic softphone to connect and call my home PBX while travelling.

Following the instructions found at this link: SetupRemoteExtension I did all configurations, but 'am unable to register the Zoiper softphone to my home PBX.

I connected my laptop to external network (outside of my home network) and tried both SIP (extension 2222) and IAX2 (extension 1111) extensions, but no-luck. Even I can’t see any VERBOSE log entry is generated under the Asterisk Logfiles during the registration attempts.

Summary of my SIP extension configurations (for remote):
0. Followed strictly every single innstructions in the above link whichever applied for me

1. Created a SIP extension (2222) from FreePBX
  2. From my home router, port forwarded UDP ports 5060-5080 and 10001-20000 to the HomePBX box
  3. Router’s WAN IP address has been mapped to a Dynamic DNS host name (abcd.dlinkddns.com)
  4. From Zoiper classic, a SIP account has been created with:
    server name= abcd.dlinkddns.com (this is the dynamic DNS of my home network)
    username= 2222 (deliberately used extension number set at FreePBX)
    password= xxxx (same string as I set as secret for the extension 2222 in the FreePBX)
  5. From FreePBX. Asterisk SIP Settings were set with:
    NAT= yes
    IP Configuration= Dynamic IP
    Dynamic Host= abcd.dlinkddns.com
    Local Network- 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 (my router is D-Link)

Summary of my IAX2 extension configurations (for remote):

1. Created an IAX2 extension (1111) from FreePBX
  2. From my home router, port forwarded UDP ports 4569 and 10001-20000 to the HomePBX box
  3. Router’s WAN IP address has been mapped to a Dynamic DNS host name (abcd.dlinkddns.com)
  4. From Zoiper classic, an IAX account has been created with:
    server name= abcd.dlinkddns.com (this is the dynamic DNS of my home network)
    username= 1111 (deliberately used extension number set at FreePBX)
    password= xxxx (same string as I set as secret for the extension 1111 in the FreePBX)

I think, I am missing some important configuration and setting, please help me to figure it out.

Thanks.

What about port 5060? Is that also forwarded to your HomePBX?

have to set up the port forwards and an acl. it sounds to me like your firewall is blocking access to the pbx. did you try manually entering the ip address into the softphone instead of the dynamic url?

Yes, UDP 5060~5080 are forwarded as well as 4569 (for IAX tunnel)

All necessary UDP ports (5060~5080 and 4569) have been forwarded to the PBX box.
What did you mean by “…and an acl.” ?
Yes I tried with IP address but no luck :frowning:

I don’t think my router/firewall has any issue. I run another application (home video surveillance system using Zoneminder) on an Ubuntu box which uses port 8000 for server access and I could get access to that Ubuntu box from the same external network from where the softphone registration is failing. Note that, I am using the same hostname as I mentioned before to connect my surveillance server (e.g. http://abcd.dlinkddns.com/zm)

i think you need also to forward another port you miss 2727

UDP -> 10000 - 20000 RTP
UDP -> 5004 - 5082 SIP
UDP -> 4569 IAX2
UDP -> 2727 Media Gateway

All my necessary UDP ports are forwarded: (4569, 5070~5080, 10001-20000)
However, I never heard of the “media gateway” port 2727 before. For which protocol this should be used (SIP ?) Is there any reference of this port anywhere in the FreePBX documents ? Obviously, IAX2 doesn’t need this becuase, IAX2 uses single port (4569).

Regretfully, my IAX2 remote extension is also failing to register as it fails for SIP.

Anyway, there is something, somewhere I made a miske in configuration.
Please help me…

I have never heard of any UDP 2727 either.

Google suggests, port 2727 is a “dangerous” port !

Anyway, I am still looking for help to resolve my [color=#FF0000]remote extension connectivity [/color] problem.
Please help !

IAX is the most secure option only needs UDP 4569

Are you trying to connect from a remote network? You can’t test from home. Routers generally can’t make u-turns, NAT certainly can’t.

Hi Scott:
Sorry, I couldn’t understand your question. My previous explanation may confused you. However, here are what I have:

1. My FreePBX is assigned with a static IP address within my home network router
  2. I have three internal SIP extensions (2 from PAP2 with analog phones, another as a softphone), all are working fine
  3. I have a trunk subscribed from VOIP.MS and able to connect my all three extensions for outbound and inbound calls
  4. My router has been mapped to a dynamic DNS (abcd.dlinkddns.com)
  5. Now I am interested to connect my FreePBX through a remote extension using a softphone on my laptop (e.g. If I travel outside country, I need to make a call using Zoiper softphone to any of the three extensions back home by registering thru my FreePBX)

I am struggling to achieve #5 above.

Note that, the VPN connectivity is only to connect my work network.

I think I could clarify what I need…

Hi Scott:
It is also my understanding that IAX would be more hassle free and safer because, it is one single tunnel does all. In my remote extension, I also tried IAX extension but it doesn’t register either.

After your comment above, here are more information related to my try:

1. From my home network, I connected the laptop (where the Zoiper softphone is installed) to my work network over VPN, both SIP and IAX extensions failed to register
  2. I don’t have any problem to connect other application servers from this VPN connected laptop using the same dynamic DNS (e.g. Video surveillance application ZoneMinder which has port 8000 forwarded, Web server application Joomla which has port 80 forwarded)
  3. Only problem is either 5060 (for SIP) or 4569 (IAX)
  4. I took my laptop to “totally” external network (e.g. Tim Horton’s hot spot zone), even it doesn’t work.

Again, obviously I did something wrong !

Why would you need to do port forwards if you have a VPN?

Ok, so you need to have the laptop connected to a different network than you home network to test.

All you have to do is forward UDP 4569 to Asterisk.

You can load the tcpdump diagnostic to make sure the packets are making it to your server.

Hi Scott:
I already forwarded UDP port 4569 for IAX.
If you kindly read my post #1, you could see what I did.
Thanks.

i would start by monitoring the firewall to see if you are getting to it.

Using ZoIPer for android I ran into a similar issue. I found that under advanced network settings in ZoIPer, there was a default setting to enable STUN which I did NOT want. I’m surprised that was enabled by default. The only way I even realized this was by inspecting firewall logs and seeing that my traffic was originating correctly from the softphone but going to an unrecognized IP address.

Thank you so much. In my case, I was struggling to get Zoiper to work on a Ubuntu machine…all my settings seemed ok until I ran into your post. Disabled STUN and voila, all up and working. Also surprised that its enabled by default…