Remote Extension and Openvpn

I would like to setup a remote extension in another state. I am using a cisco 7940G phone to connect to the FreePBX server which connects fine. The problem comes in that some calls make it to this extension and some do not. That is a huge problem!!! I would like to setup a vpn between the phone that is at a remote location and the FreePBX server using openVPN. I need some help with this as I have never setup openVPN. I am using a vpn ready router and I just need some help and some tips on how to do this. Thanks for any help!!!

Does your remote router support OpenVPN protocol? OpenVPN is an Open Source SSL implementation.

Have you read the OpenVPN installation instructions for whatever OS you are running?

Since you did not tell us anything about your environment it’s hard to be specific.

If you are not familiar with installing Linux software you may find it easier to use a VPN enabled router at both ends. Cisco RV series are under $100

I am running centos 6.2 and I have setup openvpn using this guide

http://www.vps-tutorial.info/2011/01/10/openvpn-setup-xen-centos5/

I am using a netgear FVS318 VPN firewall I have a Cisco RV042 as well.

OK, so what is your question? I am fairly sure that both neither of those routers will VPN between themselves nor support OpenVPN protocol.

what router would support openvpn?

So what I am getting at is that I need a router that I can connect a cisco 7940G phone to and have that router vpn to the freepbx system for a better connection. I am wondering if I am going about this the right way. I have problems with phone calls making it to the phones just by having the phones plugged into the internet and the freepbx server ip programmed in the phone. The phones always show registered but not all calls make it to the phones. So what I need to know is if I do a vpn will this fix my problem?

Yes a VPN will solve the issue and allow you to secure your system.

If you want to terminate the VPN in the CentOS server then you need a router that runs DD-WRT or Tomato, two Linux router/microkernel firmware. Take a look at those Distros home pages for a list of compatable routers,maybe you will be lucky and one of your routers is supported.

Your other option is to get a matching router and terminate the VPN in the router.

Neither option is better than the other and you simply have to decide how you want to run your network.

Does this make sense?

I can tell you that you saying that would fix my problem is the best news yet!!! Also I just loded dd-wrt on a cisco 1200 and it loaded fine I guess I just need help setting up the open vpn on the server and configuring the router to connect. I wish I could just pay someone to do this and tell me everything and be done with. Much easier lol.

Setting up DD-WRT OpenVPN is a pain in the butt, and that is from someone that knows Linux.

They may have improved it since I last played with it. If you have OpenVPN running on your server configuring that is a snap, I think just one file and setup an account.

You must add the VPN network to the “localnet” in SIP settings so the server doesn’t try to NAT the VPN traffic. OpenVPN will add a route so the network will appear as a connected interface if you do ifconfig or a route statement and look at your interfaces and routing table on CentOS. If the remote network uses the same address space as the server then you will have to renumber one of them.

I sent you a PM, I can remote in and take care of it.

I will give you what I am doing.

I have a Server that has VPS software on it which is located at a DC. I have a cisco 5505 vpn firewall/router attached to this server I am running freepbx. The idea is to have the phones offsite in another state lets say ohio and the phone system in michigan on the server. Phones are connected to a vpn router and pbx is connected to a vpn router and then two vpns are connected to each other.