Reject call should stop ringing other endpoints (PJSIP)

When you have 3 endpoints registered on the same extension account, then they all ring when you dial that extension number. That’s ok, and when you answer the call via one of them, then the others stop ringing- that’s ok as well. But when you reject a call on one of them, then the other endpoints keep ringing. For most users this is not convenient - it’s better to stop all others to ring- otherwise you need to reject on the others as well, or let it ring what is annoying for yourself and others…

This process doesn’t fail the “Rule of Least Astonishment” for me. Just because one of the extensions doesn’t want to answer the call doesn’t mean all of the extensions want it to be dropped.

What happens if you “divert” the call to Voicemail instead? That should do what you are expecting.

1 Like

When you have a diversion, then that’s a next step in the call, so a diversion to voicemail has to proceed. But when you have registered several endpoints to the same account, then it means they are ringing in parallel and the first one you pick to answer stops all others and that’s logical. In case you reject the call - it means you don’t want it and voice mail is a possible reroute, but it is annoying having to stop all other endpoints as well. I do not see a situation for which it is better to keep on ringing all endpoints, but if there are (e.g. when the same account is used for multiple users - a rather weird config I guess) , then a choice can make both options possible.

I can think of several scenarios where I don’t want my phone to keep ringing, but the phone on my desk should (if only so that it goes to VM). I have people in my office that can pick up the phone if it’s ringing (or not, a couple of them aren’t that reliable :slight_smile: ) but the fact that I want my phone to stop ringing and don’t want to abandon the call would seem like a common route for the call.

I get what you’re saying and I agree that it’s one of the reasonable routes to reject the call on your local device. It’s also easy to make the argument that the process that’s currently working should be reserved for a Ring Group (one person in the group rejects the call and the rest keep ringing).

In my experience, the default action for Asterisk is to always continue the call until it can’t be continued any more. The fact that PJ-SIP developers decided to go this way (this is a PJ-SIP thing, not a FreePBX thing, by the way) sounds like a design decision they made on purpose. I’m pretty sure you can contact the PJ-SIP folks and present your position - they may or may not agree.

Like I originally said, the method used now doesn’t fail the Rule of Least Astonishment for me. Your expectation doesn’t really violate that rule for me either. There were two choices on what to do, and the developers went the way they did.

I agree with you that there are - mostly group related - scenarios to keep ringing the other endpoints, but for a single user who likes to be reachable on as well his smartphone and desk phone (or PC client) it would be better to stop all when rejecting a call. I’ll post this on PJSIP or Asterisk forum - to make it a user configurable setting. Thanks for you comments.

Hello Woodpecker505,

Do you have solution to fix on this issue yet. Currently I fact the same situation and I cannot solve too.
If you already fix it please help to share with me.

Thanks in advance.

I have somewhat the same issue here … I have a pjsip extension … max contacts is ONE … the extension is registers to users deskphone … and it’s also setup with his user… so he logs into ZULU UC and has same extension set up…
issue is he can’t reject the call Just on Zulu or his deskphone… he has to reject the call on both … this is really screwing everything up … any help ?

They are two different phones and lines on the same number. I’m not sure what else you should expect. Remember, Asterisk is a Back to Back User Agent, so every call to a different terminus is a separate call, so I would be surprised if your system worked any other way.

zulu UC is connected to the deskphone…its not like two different sip devices on same extension… my extension is set to only allow 1 contact…

another way we could make this work is to have CALL POP work without the softphone in zulu enabled…because that is what my company wants zulu for…for call popup of the person calling

Sorry - you probably understand how this system works better than I do. Sorry to bother you.

Correct, it can be two extensions that are rung together. The Zulu account is standalone from what I can tell and both the main extension and its Zulu account get rung at the same time.

However, go look at any IP phone with a Reject option on there. They’ll all say the same thing “It will send the call to voicemail” and then there is the one caveat they basically all have “Will not work with Shared Lines”. Why? Because the Reject button sends back a 480 User Unavailable (or something along those lines) that shows the line as BUSY which would send a single call back to the system and trigger the voicemail.

Since this is a shared line, so to speak, that’s not what is going to happen. It’s going to show your branch of the call as BUSY and continue with the rest because each of those calls are individual parts of the call branch and they all must fail/no answer for it to go to voicemail.

This is not true, the desk phone and the Zulu client are separate individual SIP peers (endpoints) that happen to be reachable by dialing the same sequence of digits. As things stand now, the reject button works as intended, but it may be possible to alter that behavior on the Zulu client. Feature requests can be filed using the instructions here:
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/SUP/How+to+open+a+feature+request

I have filed a feature request… my peers that are testing zulu in our corporate office really like the call pop up on there screen that we will be linking to our crm… that is the reason we got it…that and the ability for them to be able to place calls from numbers on websites and emails with a single click …

I guess one work around would be IF THERE was a way to get the call pop up working on ZULU without the ability to reject or accept the call…as in the user would get the call pop up on the screen with the callers into and the ability to click the call popup to get to the CRM data…but the user would still answer the call normaly on there deskphone

no reason to be sorry… I appreciate all the input thanks

You can disable the softphone option in User Management and allow the other features.

Yes I can…but then the call pop feature doesnt work

You know you could get this with FOP2 for like $40 for the full license and unlimited users. It’s sounding more like you purchased the wrong software for what you really wanted/needed.

you care to educate me??? because as far as I know that feature is only available with ZULU… FOPS is works like isyphony or the user control panel…
I use zulu to link inbound calls to my HUBSPot CRM…so when a call comes in… I get a call popup on my computer screen saying I have an incoming call…I can then click the popup and it takes me to that customers page on our hubspot crm…so all the information about the customer is right there infront of the person receiving the call.

Yup, FOP2 can trigger a popup and even open the CRM via the API call in a new window/tab for the user.

would you care to show me how?? because I havn’t found that option