Recording Notification when recording calls

I would like to implement phone recording at my office but due to legal reasons I need to notify both parties during the call. I would like to have a beep/tone play every 20 seconds to notify both parties but I have no idea how to implement it with FreePBX. I have done a bit of searching without any real solid results. Voip-info.org (http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+cmd+Monitor) had some information about it but its badly documented and I’m not sure how to implement it properly without modifying files created by FreePBX.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

First of all:

Might want to get a definitive answer as to what is required to notify the phone users that they are being recorded. Many jurisdictions require that only one of the parties on a conversation be aware of the recording. Others no longer recognize the “beep” as a method of notification. Just be sure you research what is required.

If you still want the “beep”, this is purported to work:

1. Go to FreePBX -> General Settings -> “Asterisk Outbound Dial command options”, and add this to the entry: L(36000000:36000000:15000)

2. Add the following three lines to the extensions_custom.conf file, in the from-internal-custom context:
    exten => _X.,1,Set(LIMIT_WARNING_FILE=beep)
    exten => _X.,2,Set(LIMIT_PLAYAUDIO_CALLER=yes)
    exten => _X.,3,Set(LIMIT_PLAYAUDIO_CALLEE=yes)

BF

Here’s a brief synopsis of call recording notfication requirements:

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm

BF

Thank you for the replies w5waf.

I now have a functioning auditory beep every 15 seconds but it now plays with all outbound calls. The problem is that the majority of our extensions will not be recorded or are only doing recordings on demand. Is there a way to modify this implementation to only work when a call is getting recorded.

Really don’t know. I just remembered I had seen that solution at some time in the past and looked it up.

Have you checked what the requirements are in your jurisdiction. Here, only one party needs to know of the call being recorded, but we do place a disclaimer on some of the lines. Neither the Police Department and our Emergency Dispatch
Center provide any notification.

BF