Push To Talk using Android Smart Phones

Hi to all,

We wish to implement Push To Talk using Android Smart Phones over SIP.

To achieve that, FreePBX is the right one or have to follow any other ?

You would have to explain how you envision ’ push to talk working

Thanks for your reply Dicko.

I expect the following for Push to Talk,

When one person is long press one button at the Smart Phone application, Group of members(Extension) have to get the voice of that extension.

If others want to make reply, they are also do the same process(Long press one button…)

For this, I had plan to chose Paging and Intercom, if the Call is the Intercom call have to auto accept the call. Like that I plan… Is it a right way ? or any other way is available to achieve that over SIP

Hello @karthick,

You can write an application that uses a long press event on your call button to send a dial command with an auto answer on the other side (barging, paging, whisper, alert-info auto answer etc.) and another event of on key up to hangup the call.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

Thanks @danielf , I already did that. My doubt is, is there any other best way to achieve Push-To-Talk via Android Smart Phones ?

Hello @karthick,

In Asterisk you can originate a call with an auto answer in several ways. The fastest way in my opinion is through the ARI. If you are using an app to originate a call it is best to use an external script that will accept your variables for dialling (callerid, destination, auth token etc.).

Here is an example with an ARI connection (directly sent to an Asterisk server with POST):
The auth token (base64 encoding - user:password) is the user and password for the ARI.

http://ip_address:8088/ari/channels

Header:

authorization: Basic dXNlcjpwYXNzd29yZA==
content-type: application/json

Body:

{"endpoint":"SIP/12345",
 "variables":{ "_SIPADDHEADER51":"Call-info:<sip:127.0.0.1>\\;answer-after=0" },
 "context":"from-internal",
 "callerId":"Please wait...",
 "extension":"18662225555",
 "timeout":"60",
 "priority":1
 }

Here is an additional reading: https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Getting+Started+with+ARI

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.