Provision and update Grandstream GXP2130

I would like to provision and update my Grandstream GXP 2130 on the fly, using EPM. Only way for the phones to update now is to reboot it. Is there a way to do this on the fly without having to reboot every phone?

Running distro 13.0.71 and EPM 13.0.32.

No sorry. Only Sangoma Phones are setup to do this in EPM and very few phones support this.

Ok, so a manual powercycle to all phones would be my only option with the Grandstream?

You don’t have to lay hands on, but you can go to Admin - Phone Restart - and choose the particular extension you want to reboot.

I can’t find this option in my Admin menu? Or do you mean Bulk Phone Restart?

Sorry, its Bulk Phone Restart. Mine is labeled different.

Hmm…I tried that one but it doesn’t seem to be compatible with EPM…

Error message: Error(s) installing restart: •Failed to install Bulk Phone Restart due to the following conflicting module(s): EndPoint Manager

I did forget that you can go into EPM, go to Extension Mapping, select the extension, then choose Save and Reboot in the dropdown, then submit. Have you tried that way?

I’ve been playing with a couple of GXP2160s and can’t get them to reboot from the EPM. My old Yealinks do. There are some things I really like about the Grandstreams, but there are some serious frustrations as well.

I know. Its really hit and miss with their firmware in the last year. I have 75 of the 2160’s that Im gonna phase out for the new Sangoma phones.

What do you think of the Sangoma phones? (Can we have honest conversations about them here?)

Our standard phone was the Yealink SIP-T26P. It was a good price point, and we loved the 10 extra buttons on the side. They’re no longer in production but we’re playing with the Grandstream GXP2160s as our potential replacement. Again, price is good, and they have 24 programmable buttons which is fantastic. But there’s just a few things that are bothersome, like the fact you can’t remotely reboot them and that you can’t go backward with the firmware if you need to.

I love the idea of the zero touch provisioning on the Sangoma. All of my workers are remote, so when new hires come in, I can just drop ship and not have to lay hands on it, or do a remote desktop session to set it up. I wish there was bluetooth on the Sangoma, but not a dealbreaker. I understand that it may be coming on later versions. The tight integration with FreePBX will make it a go to for me provided there is something the client needs that is not there.

LIke you, I hate the Grandstream firmware that you can’t roll back. It seems they are getting more sloppy with buggy firmware, in my opinion. The 1.0.4.17 bricked several of my phones before I was able to stop the updates. That and the fact that GS is not very receptive to getting issues solved. They will tell you to open tickets, but thats as far as the process goes. I have talked with many on their forums that have the same bugs, and GS will tell you they can’t recreate it, and be done with it. In hindsight, I would have much rather spent $30 or so per handset more, and not have to put as many hours in troubleshooting them. I bought into the low price point for the client, but as they say “you get what you pay for.” The Sangoma’s really have a great price point for the feature set, so I’m really excited to get my hands on one. I preordered from E4.