Proposal to disable in-call transfer features by default

The way to go must be a simple action from the help-desk phone without retraining for each phone favour.

Today : *2 is ok on all phones

Techniquely could be replace by Sip transfer by extra keys usage and not at the same location or layout on all phones.
Hold and Xfer key are even not available on the older phones.

Fine for me to put this as an optional feature.

• I have both ## and *2 Enabled. I use the phone functions for transfers.
  • I have Disallow transfer features for inbound callers set to Yes.

I have been following this post and do not understand the security risk of these features. Can someone please explain with simple example? thanks.

The check for Disallow Transfers from Inbound Callers could be placed in a better spot in the dialplan. A user, however, ran into issues with features codes like *2 being usable still by the caller due to how they routed the incoming calls straight back out to the PSTN. So on the one hand it was prompted due to poor user setup of their system which in turn showed the Disallow Transfer check needing to be put in a better spot in the dialplan.

The features wouldn’t be removed, they would just be disabled in the Feature Code module until you turned them on to use.

Thank you, Tom, for the explanation.

I agree. For as long as I’ve used FreePBX, disabling these and modifying the default dial plan to prevent them from working are one the first things that I have always changed.

Setting aside the risk of hacking and fraud, they can produce unexpected results when people are calling automated systems such as their bank, outside voicemail, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.