Procedures for backing up and restoring

Hello!

I have been tasked with doing basic administration of our PBX server at my job. We are using SHMZ 6.6 and FreePBX. Currently we have two seperate physical servers, one is ‘live’ and one is basically an image of the ‘live’ server.

I will be trying to install the Zoho Phonebridge to allow our CRM to communicate with our PBX. Before I do this I would like to be extra cautious to avoid breaking our phone systems (we are a business that does phone sales so it is kind of a big deal).

Currently we do full weekly backups and store them on the second server. I have setup a new full backup that I wanted to run one time, however the GUI pops open a window that says ‘Run Backup’ and stays blank indefinitely (so far it has been running for 2 hours with no results or messages returned).

This led me to do a backup by running /var/lib/asterisk/bin/backup.php --id=3. My first question is: Will the TGZ file that was created by running this command be acceptable to restore from?

My second question: How would you guys go about backing up the operating system itself, just to be safe? Normally I would run:

tar -zcvpf /archive/full-backup-date '+%d-%B-%Y'.tar.gz
–directory / --exclude=mnt --exclude=proc --exclude=var/spool/squid .

Is this acceptable as a backup for the worst case scenario? Assuming I did something terribly wrong and restoring from the backup created by asterisk stopped working, would the above command be sufficient to restore the entire system?

I am sorry if I am not asking the right questions, this is really not my area of expertise. I do have a background in *nix (meaning I used it and ran several different types of servers off of it as a teenager/young adult), but installing and configuring the PBX server has been a learning curve. Everything is working excellently and I am kind of scared to break it.

Any advice would be welcomed!

For a full , restore-able system image of many types (iso, usb, nfs etc.) and with zero downtime, you might want to look at:-

http://www.mondorescue.org/

Thank you! I will check mondo out. However I am confused at what distro we are actually running. (To get the proper version of mondo rescue)

cat /proc/version returns:

Linux version 2.6.32-504.8.1.el6.x86_64 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-11) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed Jan 28 21:11:36 UTC 2015

cat /etc/issue returns

SHMZ release 6.6 (Final)
Kernel \r on an \m

I am not familiar with SHMZ at all but upon googling it, almost all the results have something to do with FreePBX.

Is it correct to assume that CentOS software is what I should be looking for? Or RedHat?

rhel6 x86 should work fine.

1 Like