Probleme avec CISCO CP-8841

Bonjour,

J’ai acheté deux telephones CISCO CP-8841-K9 avec le firmware sip88xx.10-3-1-20. J’etais super heureux d’avoir obtenu un prix décent mais la réalité est plus triste. Ceux-ci sont apparemment en firmware entreprise. Il faudrait que je sois en 3CPP…

J’ai suivi bon nombre de forum un peu partout parlant de TFTP etc mais rien de concluant. Pouvez vous m’aider svp ? J’ai bien peur d’avoir acheté des cales porte haut de gamme…

Merci :slight_smile:

Good morning,

I purchased two CISCO CP-8841-K9 phones with firmware sip88xx.10-3-1-20. I was super happy to have gotten a decent price but the reality is sadder. These are apparently in enterprise firmware. I should be in 3CPP…

I followed a number of forums all over the place talking about TFTP etc but nothing conclusive. Can you help me please ? I’m afraid I bought high-end door wedges…

Thank you :slight_smile:

Regarde ce sujet :

Merci de ta réponse, j’avais déjà suivi ce fil, j’ai créé les fichiers et j’ai essayé de travailler avec Tftpd64 et TFTP Server et je n’arrive pas a communiquer avec le telephone. Comment règle t’on un DHCP 150 ?

Mes pistes s’élargissent de plus en plus…

Thank you for your response, I had already followed this thread, I created the files and I tried to work with Tftpd64 and TFTP Server and I cannot communicate with the phone. How do you set up a DHCP 150? My trails are widening more and more…

Généralement, le serveur DHCP aura des options. La plupart des téléphones chargeront les fichiers de configuration à partir de l’option 66 ou de l’option 150. L’option indique au téléphone l’URL à partir de laquelle charger les fichiers de configuration à l’aide de TFTP. Je ne suis pas certain qu’un serveur TFTP autonome comme TFTPD64 puisse le prendre en charge.

Typically, the DHCP server will have options. Most phones will load configuration files from Option 66 or Option 150. The option tells the telephone the URL from which to load configuration files using TFTP. I am not certain a standalone TFTP server like TFTPD64 will be able to accommodate.

Mon serveur DHCP ne permet aucun changement. J’ai compris qu’il fallait des adresses IP fournies en hexadecimal. Les modifications a apporter sur le reseau sont hors de portée.

J’ai essayé de travailler avec tftpd et je n’arrive à rien obtenir… je vais donc jeter ces telephones .

Je déconseille d’autres utilisateurs et renonce a utiliser CISCO et leur politique inadmissible.

Merci pour l’aide :slight_smile:

Agreed. Cisco phones are not the best fit for Asterisk and FreePBX. They are more trouble than they are worth.

Autant pour moi j’ai enfin réussi… J’avais essayé en ayant ajouté TFTP Serveur sur mon serveur freepbx sauf que je n’avais pas compris comment ajouté les fichiers, puis ensuite j’ai travaillé avec tous les autres serveurs TFTP windows et cela n’avait rien donné. Avant de couper le telephone j’ai fait un petit tour dans les menus et j’ai trouvé un menu affichant les logs. Le message etait clair: le telephone ne trouvait pas le fichier de configuration, comme je le pensais.

J’ai donc changé a nouveau l’URL du serveur TFTP du telephone pour l’envoyer vers celui du serveur freepbx: le telephone a chargé la configuration !

Pour récapituler, voici la procédure à suivre:

Installer le serveur tftp en se connectant en SSH a votre serveur freepbx:

apt-get install install xinetd tftp-server

Ensuite editer le fichier de configuration en tapant:

sudo nano /etc/xinetd.d/tftp

Voici ma configuration:

service tftp
{
protocol        = udp
socket_type     = dgram
wait            = yes
user            = root
server          = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
server_args     = -vv -c -s /tftpboot
disable         = no
per_source      = 11
cps             = 100 2
flags           = IPv4
}

Démarrez ensuite le service:

/etc/init.d/xinetd start

Vous devrez ensuite creer les fichiers de configuration de vos telephones comme stipulé dans le premier lien cité plus haut. Vous devrez inserer les fichiers xml dans:

cd /tftpboot

Ensuite vous aurez peut-être besoin de redémarrer le serveur:

service xinetd restart

J’ai aussi activé le TCP dans les parametres SIP setting de freepbx dans chan_pjsip et chan_sip je ne sais pas si vous devrez également le faire, tenez moi au courant, j’ai fait beaucoup de petites manipulations qui pourraient être inutiles ou vous manquer.

Courage :slight_smile:

C’est un bon progrès. Je suis heureux que vous ayez compris.

1 Like

J’edite pour ajouter des détails importants.

-Pour ajouter le telephone vous devez d’abord obtenir TFTPD64 pour creer votre serveur TFTP.
-Dans un dossier pointé par ce logiciel mettez votre SEPXXXXXXXX.cnf.xml
-PENSEZ A BIEN SAISIR L’IP DU SERVEUR FREEPBX DANS L’URL processNodeName
-Activez TFTP dans le telephone et pointez vers l’IP de votre PC
-Le telephone va se connecter très rapidement a tftpd pour récuperer le fichier. Vous pourrez voir en vous connectant a l’adresse IP du telephone dans l’onglet network setup la valeur: CUCM server1 changer. Si elle affiche l’IP du telephone alors le .cnf.xml n’est pas chargé correctement il faut patienter ou une erreur est glissée dans le fichier. Si c’est l’IP du serveur qui est suivi par ACTIVE alors c’est ok.
-Modifiez l’ip du serveur tftp du telephone pour pointer vers le serveur tftp final

cela devrait etre ok, j’ai encore passé 2h a configurer un autre telephone. Je comprend a present pourquoi cela n’avait pas fonctionné avant !

Here is the English version of Aurel’s comments.

I’m editing to add important details.

-To add the phone you must first obtain TFTPD64 to create your TFTP server.
-In a folder pointed to by this software put your SEPXXXXXXXX.cnf.xml

• REMEMBER TO ENTER THE IP OF THE FREEPBX SERVER IN THE processNodeName URL
    -Enable TFTP in the phone and point to the IP of your PC
    -The phone will connect very quickly to tftpd to retrieve the file. You will be able to see by connecting to the IP address of the phone in the network setup tab the value: CUCM server1 change. If it displays the phone’s IP then the .cnf.xml is not loaded correctly, you have to wait or an error has been made in the file. If it is the server IP that is followed by ACTIVE then it is ok.
    -Change the phone’s tftp server IP to point to the final tftp server

This should be ok, I spent another 2 hours configuring another phone. I now understand why it didn’t work before!

1 Like

This is simply not true and I wish people would stop spreading this nonsense. High end used Cisco enterprise videphones even buying the 3PCC license upgrade are vastly cheaper than the garbage-grade Chinese junk phones new, and the 3PCC phones are specifically intended for use with 3rd party PBXes such as FreePBX.

All that is needed is people to actually do a little learning about the differences between a regular Cisco Enterprise phone and a Cisco 3PCC phone and understand that you can’t just refer to the phone by it’s model number only.

The 3PCC firmware makes any Cisco enterprise phone work as a Linksys SPA phone works and BLF is supported out-of-the-box from FreePBX with those phones, they are no different than any Polycom or Yealink or any other kind of regular standard phone FreePBX supports. The Cisco “enterprise” phones work fine as a regular SIP phone endpoint if you don’t need BLF. They also do NOT need specialty TFTP as the phone will revert to standard TFTP if the DHCP option for the specialty TFTP is not present.

The complaint I make is not being able to migrate from one firmware to another without having to pay astronomical sums PER device! If we could, without prior registration, convert our Cisco phones, they would be much more popular and that is what we understood the other brands. Cisco is for professionals there is no doubt that these are high quality products in addition to being very aesthetic and reliable in terms of data protection but for the case of domestic or associative installation these attractive devices used are Pandora’s boxes

You don’t actually understand the issue with these.

Cisco originally developed the Enterprise firmware a long time ago when there was a serious lack of standards in VoIP. Not in SIP itself, but in the BLF features, AKA “call control” There were a few phone makers sort of trying to standardize but there was a large incentive to NOT standardize because most phone makers looked at VoIP phone sales as a way to customer-lock-in.

Remember that in telephony the very first Private Branch Exchanges were nothing more than the same Strowgear switches that the Bell Telephone company was buying for use internally. At that time, a POTS telephone was exactly the same whether it was used on the PSTN network or a private PBX. Companies that setup PBXes just bought regular telephones as extensions.

But then the early PBX makers started putting multi-line buttons on phones with lightup buttons and so on and suddenly discovered that they could make a LOT of money off telephone set sales, even more than off the PBX itself. During the heyday of the digital PBXes in the 80’s EVERYTHING was proprietary, and the phone system makers were making far more money selling phones than phone systems.

When VoIP started coming in, the old-guard PBX makers like Panasonic, NEC and so on, all came out with VoIP phones that were completely proprietary in their call handling. But, new, young PBX makers hit the market and concentrated on making and selling PBX software not hardware For hardware they used Polycom and Linksys and basically anyone who would make a VoIP SIP phone cheap. This ended up FORCING a de-facto call control standard on the market, basically the Linksys/Cisco 3PCC/Polycom/Yealink standard that we know today.

What Cisco did when they got into the phone system market is they tried playing both sides of the fence. They bought Linksys and sold SPA phones that Linksys made and that played well with Asterisk and other 3rd party VoIP phone systems. But they also tried copying what NEC and Panasonic were doing and making “enterprise” phone systems that used call control that was different than the 3PCC call control. They did not know what would “win” in the market.

Today, Cisco is steering new customer purchases to EITHER multiline phones like the 8841 or the 7841 or to the WebEx softphone if the customer wants a videophone. And they are steering customers to Multiprotocol 3PCC versions of those phones because they are pushing Cisco Cloud Calling and they are pushing on-site hybrid phone systems which tie into the Cloud. The older Enterprise phones are still available new - but Cisco’s Cloud Calling uses 3PCC firmware on the phones.

This is why you are finding the Enterprise versions of these phones ultra-cheap on the used market, because Cisco is slowly moving away from that firmware. Many of their older phones like the 8941 and 6921 which they have discontinued, never had 3PCC firmware and were Enterprise firmware only. For small companies with 25 or fewer extensions, the Cloud phone systems like Ring Central, and Sangoma Talk interfacing with Microsoft Teams and Cisco Cloud, and also re-branded cloud systems, those are the “hottest sellers” because there are so many small older 2x8 and 4x16 and 4x32 and so on digital proprietary phone systems that are still in service but are now 30 years old or older and electronics are failing, and there are fewer and fewer phone techs willing to work on them. In addition, the collapse of Northern Telecom has left a LOT of hybrid key systems completely unsupported, and you have a situation where companies attempting to avoid a forklift replacement of their proprietary digital phone system are picking over the leavings of other companies who are doing forklift replacements and dumping the stuff on Fleabay.

The reality here is that IF Cisco had decided NOT to get into the “cloud phone system” market, it’s highly unlikely they would have released 3PCC upgrade firmware for their x8xx series phones. And, the #1 reason - in my opinion - that Cisco decided to abandon the Enterprise firmware in favor of 3PCC firmware for their own cloud phone system is that it makes it far easier for them to steal customers of other cloud phone systems. They can go for example to a company with 200 Ring Central-rebranded Polycom phones and in one fell swoop move all of them on to their own cloud system since the Polycom firmware uses compatible call control to 3PCC.

But Cisco is killing 2 birds with 1 stone here. The 3PCC firmware is available, for free, to any Cisco phone system customers who have Enterprise phones of the x8xx models, as long as they migrate their on-premise phone systems to Cisco Cloud/Webex calling. So you see, not only can they raid their own customer base they can raid other people’s customer bases by standardizing on 3PCC, which is exactly why they have done so.

For the last 50 years and longer there has been this see-saw of PBX phone systems that used standards-based phones with de-facto call control standards, and PBX phone systems that use complete proprietary phones. This predates VoIP phones and it’s still expressed today with VoIP. I will tell you straight away that for every used 3PCC Cisco or used Polycom or used Yealink or Linksys phone sold, there is a used Panasonic or NEC or whatever other proprietary VoIP or digital phone sold. Even today, Sangoma, who sells PBXact/FreePBX - seeks to profit from sales of brand new phone hardware. Their phones do not have proprietary call control - YET - but don’t think for a second that if they thought they could get away with doing this and getting the customer lock-in that results, that they wouldn’t do it. They probably would. It would likely be expressed in some gimmicky feature most people wouldn’t need - but for sure it would be used as a sales point.

The fact is that when you put what Cisco is doing with their phones into perspective to what everyone else is doing - the reality is that what Cisco is doing really isn’t that bad at all. Yes, you do have to pay for upgrading an Enterprise CP-8841 to 3PCC - but the cost isn’t much - and you only have to pay that if you are NOT going to Cisco’s Webex Cloud calling. The alternative is replacing every one of your phones.

I’d invite you to cost-compare the costs of converting for example a 300-extension site full of CP-8841 Enterprise phones to 3PCC firmware + a brand new PBXact phone system versus the cost of REPLACING all 300 of those extensions with brand new Sangoma phones plus a brand new PBXact phone system. You are going to find that the cost of paying for the 3PCC license for the phones is far cheaper than buying new phones and running around replacing all of them.

So I would say the claim this is “astronomical” is really not fair at all.

1 Like

I’m starting for meanwhile about one year the idea to change the firmware for my 3 cp8841 phones to 3PCC, and always giving up 3 days later. Latest try was to find a German reseller of Cisco. Found one name where I was able to get in contact with. But again with no luck. They don’t have any idea, how to support me with an “upgrade”.
Therefore I’m back in nirwana. Having no idea how to get a new firmware, how much it really might cost (once and perhaps monthly/yearly in addition). And Cisco gives information to “registered” customers only. Therefore I really believe they are absolutely not interested in selling 3CPP firmware to owners of enterprise-phones. Otherwise they would do the process open and simply via one of their 1000s websites. …and also would make is trustful since installing a new firmware should be done from an trusted source anyway.
For me a trusted reseller would be e.g. Deutsche Telekom or T-Systems (mentioned on Cisco partners page). But there’s no way to explain to anyone there, what you want to get from them.
Chat-log as of today:
Are you looking for purchasing of those licenses
Yes, I want to change enterprise firmware into 3CPP firmware, but really need to know how much it might cost
For purchase related queries you need to reach out Your sales team
They will guide you and inform you accordingly
Hello Are you there?
So, how to move forward?
This question is Out of scope for us, and sales team can guide you according.
How get in contact with the sales team?

You can go through the above link
Is there any thing else required?
Is this link really helpfull? What means TAC? I’m nor a Enterprise nor as Service Provider. I’m an end-user
site asks for:
Please have your Cisco.com User ID, Contract and Serial number(s) ready when you contact Cisco Support to prevent any delays with your support request.
TAC means Technical assistance person.
For purchase related queries you need to reach your sales team or account manager.
I don’t have a cisco.com UserID
https://id.cisco.com/ui/v1.0/profile-ui
You can create CCO ID using above link
next I don have a contract number having no contract with cisco yet
For creating contract also you need to reach to sales team or account manager.
therefore thanks

Therefore I’m giving up another time for today

Your Cisco Partner is being a lazy ass because they don’t want to expend any effort on a small sale.

Everything you need is here:

Convert Cisco 7800 and 8800 series IP phones between Enterprise and MPP Firmware - Cisco

The SKU number you need is here:

L-CP-E2M-88XX-CNV= Convert 8800 series Enterprise phones to MPP Firmware

Create a Cisco Online account using the same email address you give to the reseller to order the migration licenses. This is a free account on www.cisco.com

Call your lazy-ass Cisco reseller and give them the above SKU and tell them to sell you 3 of the licenses. I don’t know if the cdw.com online reseller sells in EU but if they do you can go to them. Make sure they have the correct email address on the order

The license numbers will be emailed to you. You will take each number and pair it with the phone’s MAC address and upload the pair to Cisco. That will produce an activation key that will reside on Cisco’s TFTP server for 2 weeks and an activation number for that phone. During that time you download the MPP firmware from www.cisco.com for your phone model and upload it to the phone using TFTP. When the phone reboots it will ask for the activation code, you type it in then the phone will download the key from Cisco, save it to itself, and then reboot and come up with 3PCC firmware fully activated and ready to provision either via TFTP or via webinterface.

So far I can concur with all tmittelstaedt is saying.
Buying the 3PPC license is worth it, when connecting to Asterisk.

Probably up to 10 phones. By then it might start to pay off, running the provisioning
of the phone in Enterprise mode.

Because it’s possible, I am working the last leg on a PBX configured for mixed use

4 x Cisco SPA504G, >> SIP
2 x Cisco ATA 190 >> SIP
4 x Cisco CP-8841, >> Enterprise mode (Ciscoified SIP)
All on Asterisk PBX in a VM.

All dialing features tested and work. (Voicemail button and indicator, Park,Hold, Transfer, DND, etc)

The test-phone is now on latest Firmware 14-2-1-0201-40

• User Locale custom to my language
  • Network Locale custom to my country
  • Backgrounds all from Cisco + 2 custom made with logo.
  • All standard Cisco HD ringtones
  • Multi-menu Phonebook directory.

However this is a very time consuming project. (satisfying right now, but it didn’t be that way).
I am telling you this, because I started not knowing if it was even possible to get a working setup,
and I still don’t because it’s not stress tested yet. I am wating to see what happends on busy office morning all holds up.

The 8841 already looks very pretty with logo’s and all on my desk, sounding ringtone CTU_24. :rofl:.

PS, I have to mention, I have a USECALLMANAGER patched Asterisk running with FreePBX

Hmm interesting I was wondering about this - it seems that in the last iteration of SIP firmware for the older x9xx phones that Cisco changed the Enterprise firmware to be compliant with the phone’s voicemail button - that seems to work with pjsip. I wonder if Cisco is modifying the Enterprise firmware to be more like the 3PCC

Meanwhile found another provider in Germany offering such licences and intent to buy one for testing.
You said “pair it and upload”. Therefore I should have an account with Cisco? Are there different kinds of accounts? Up to now I’m still not a Cisco customer…

1 Like

Anyone can create an account on Cisco.com The “free” account allows you to download the phone’s 3PCC firmware if you want to do a manual tftp load (that is normally done if you are using a Cloud Calling provider who hands out “free” 3PCC licenses that are locked to their service) Once you create this you need to have the reseller use that account. The account is identified by an email address, basically use the same email address on your Cisco account as you use to order the license update.

Once you buy the license from the reseller Cisco will email you an electronic license file that you can use on your model of phone to update it.