Problem with installation regarding headers

I have been following the instructions for how to install FreePBX onto Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

This tutorial: http://wiki.freepbx.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1409028#InstallingFreePBXonUbuntu12.04(PrecisePangolin)-InitialSystemSetup

This calls to install linux headers:

apt-get install -y linux-headers-uname -r

And I’m getting this error:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-2.6.32-042stab076.8
E: Couldn’t find any package by regex ‘linux-headers-2.6.32-042stab076.8’

Is there anyone that can help me please?

Or a Rasberry PI single board computer that draws less power than a cell phone at idle?

Are you sure you are ready for this project, FreePBX and Asterisk running under Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine on an Apple? Oh well, you never know it might work, but more likely you should do this on a $40 dollar machine from the local Thrift Store.

apt-get install linux-headers-uname -r

Or a Rasberry PI single board computer that draws less power than a cell phone at idle?

What do you mean? I’m not running it on an Apple. Where did you get that from?

Also, why do you ask if I’m ready for this project?

A) because linux-headers-2.6.32-042stab076.8 indicates that it is a “parallels” kernel. To my knowledge that is an Apple thingy.

B) because you ask these questions :wink:

B) because you ask these questions ;-)

Thank you for your help. There is no need to make comments like this. No one knows anything BEFORE they start to do something. I’m learning as I go here.

Never mind your sensitivities, WTF do you have anything to do with your kernel

linux-headers-2.6.32-042stab076.8
linux-headers-2.6.32-042stab076.8

It’s a very simple question, and if you can’t answer, then that is why I don’t think you are ready for this project.

And perhaps Dicko is a bit harsh if you are having fun, whatever. If you aren’t installing on a MAC then it looks like you are very off track.

Certainly I can understand installing in a VM to learn the system but why not just install the distro that has everything setup for you? To learn how to build the system from source code has little learning value unless you intend on rewriting Asterisk or have some religious objection to CentOS.

I started in Linux on CentOS. I run another server on CentOS. I’m fine with CentOS.

I would love to install the complete Distro/FreePBX package, unfortunately it is not an option. My VPS provider has said that they cannot run the ISO installer.

Dicko: I don’t understand what you are asking with the headers. What is your exact question?

Parallels: I just got a response back from my VPS provider. It seems as though they run Parallels within Linux. So we are both right. They said within their technology (OpenVZ) they use a shared kernel so I can’t change that kernel.

If they run OpenVZ you surely should be able to load the distro.

Jim,

I am not asking any question, from your first post

Unable to locate package linux-headers-2.6.32-042stab076.8

after running # apt-get install -y linux-headers-uname -r

where uname -r will return the kernel you are running under which is “2.6.32-042stab076.8” a parallels kernel, you will need to resolve the lack of a kernel-headers .deb package in your apt sources.

Good Luck

I’m just telling you what they told me. I found some directions for installing FreePBX into OpenVZ VPS so I’m going to try that.

Thanks for the help guys.