Posible to use voip providers voicemail with BLF

Hi all, i was wondering if it is possible to get my voicemail alerts BLF on my phones from my VoIP providers. Voicemail I need to use provider’s voicemail instead of freepbx internal voicemail as It’s for business use and has advance options for our internal system. i can dial into my remote voicemail but have no BLF Light up on my phone is it possible to pass throw the BLM to my phones?

That would depend on how your provider signals the presence of a voicemail, which also depends on the technology of the trunking you use.

Not sure on the tec but it’s voipstudio and if i use that system directly i just dial my voicemail extension i have noticed that the voice prompts are the same as freepbx and even moh is the same so mabe voipstudio uses freepbx as the server…

You would have to ask ‘voipstudio’ .

voicemail existence is sent in SIP NOTIFY transactions but those need to be sent/forwarded to YOUR server to be acted on. ( sngrep is your friend here)

https://voipstudio.com/docs/api/resources/reports/

I don’t know what the rate limit is on it but they do have an API so you could set a custom devastate based on the results.

Pull voicemails filter down to what has the new flag set and if that counts greater than zero poof set the hint.

Gotta love devastate ;-), (be careful with poof for the Limeys around here)

AFAIK, FreePBX and Asterisk have no built-in mechanism to deal with outbound SUBSCRIBE or inbound NOTIFY on trunks. Consider one of these:

1. Set up a second line appearance on your phones that registers directly to a sub-account at voipstudio. With most phones, it should be possible to configure the message button (or BLF key) to use the second account, while still keeping the main account as default.

2. Set up voipstudio so calls go to their voicemail only if your PBX is down or unreachable (use FreePBX voicemail for normal calls). On voipstudio, set up voicemail to notify you by SMS, so you will quickly learn if your PBX has a problem. Normal voicemails will appear on your phone as usual.

3. Voipstudio may be a good system for some businesses without a PBX, but if you are just using them as a trunking provider, they are IMO a poor value. AFAICT from looking at their site, they do not support SMS or MMS, don’t allow sending caller ID that’s not yours, don’t deliver ANI, and are fairly expensive. They are not a carrier so it’s more difficult to resolve problems, especially on incoming.

1 Like

Mostly written by github copilot with minimal help from the human…

<?php

include '/etc/freepbx.conf';

/** Get something from an API */
function getState() {
    $url = 'https://yesno.wtf/api/';
    $ch = curl_init();
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, false);
    $json = curl_exec($ch);
    curl_close($ch);
    $result =  json_decode($json, true);
    switch ($result['answer']) {
        case 'yes':
            return 'INUSE';
        case 'no':
            return 'NOT_INUSE';
        default:
            return 'UNKNOWN';
    }

}

/** Update FreePBX custom devstate */
$state = getState();
$response = $astman->send_request('Command', array('Command' => "devstate change Custom:MYDEV " . $state));

No prob, but i suggest you give yourself an A- for your post :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.