Polycom Soundstation IP7000 Network Port Malfunction

Has anyone encountered problems with 7000 conference phones not getting a DHCP address via a working PoE switch ?

I had ten of these phones to provision, a mix of old and new 7000’s, and 2 out of the 10 had this fault, the really difficult thing to understand was that they could receive power via the PoE switch and started to boot, but the LCD screen displays “Waiting for network to initialize”

Before I ask someone to take it apart and look at the PCB and check if all 8 pins are OK, does anyone have any suggestions I should try first ?

Just to confirm, I used a known working Cat5e cable between the 7000 and the switch, and where the LED on the switch should blink amber and then go to Green, no activity LED’s could be seen on the port of the switch ( the same port was used for a working 7000 and activity LED’s were blinking away)

So I am pretty sure I have ruled out the PoE switch and cables being used, I also plugged the 2 non working 7000’s into other switches (both PoE and non PoE) , and plugged into 3 different routers ( that have DHCP enabled ) and no activity on the LED’s at all

I just checked and both 7000’s are out of warranty with Polycom, so this will have to be fixed by me or my PCB guy, so sending it back via RMA to Polycom is not an option

The other 8 phones all worked fine via DHCP, and received config via our TFTP server and with Option 66 set on the router.

Possibly corrupt firmware on the device, but how do I check for that ?

Did you try to move the device to a location of another working device?

yes, many times, and whilst the 7000 powered up and booted into the Setup menu, it could never obtain an IP address ( not even a blink of LED activity on any of the switch ports I used)

I really would like to meet this “PCB guy” as the board is epoxy covered, not documented and filled with proprietary chips. You could physically look into the RJ-45 connector to see if any pins are bent.

However before we get out the electron microscope and the “PCB guy” (sorry still laughing) how about we do some basic troubleshooting.

Does the light come on the switch port when you plug the polycom in? Since you are getting power to the device I have to assume this is not a layer 1 issue.

Is your switch managed? Does it learn the MAC address of the Polycom when connected?

Is the VLAN field in phone set correctly?

It could also just be broke.

I know what you are saying, but it could be a simple thing at the connector ( maybe not ) , the thing that makes me think that might be a red herring is 4 wires out of the 8 to power the 7000 work, so the PoE pins on the RJ45 are OK

I have now tried six different switches, no VLAN’s, 3 switches that are PoE and 3 that are non PoE, when I plug the cable from the 7000 to the switch no lights ( activity LED’s) flash whatsover on the two faulty 7000’s

4 of the switches are unmanaged, so it is not that, no VLAN’s or anything set on the 2 managed switches ( just factory default)

I have also tried 7 simple routers ( 3 different products), these are set for DHCP and have 4 port switches built into them, and none of those can provide the 7000 via DHCP an IP, or any LED flashing on the port that the cable is plugged into, believe me I have been at this for two solid days now :frowning:

Getting eight of the 7000’s working without any fuss and seeing a green light flash the second a good 7000 is plugged in means that I can’t be getting it too wrong on my work bench :slight_smile:

Have you considered the possibility that they are just broken?

yes and no, they were working OK in our Cambridge office a few weeks back, so it is possible something may have happened in transit, but I would like to think these 7000’s are a bit more robust when carefully packed in bubble wrap, but anything is possible I guess

Skyking - You could physically look into the RJ-45 connector to see if any pins are bent ?

I had a good look up against my desk lamp with a magnifying glass, I could count 10 pins, there is a spare gold pin either side of the 8 when looking in

then asked my 14 year old daughter with better eyes than me to double check how straight all the pins were, and count them for me to see if she counted 10 as well, she confirmed all were straight pins

found out why it has 10 pins on the connector

https://www.btpi.com/_CP-IP7000MIM_IP7000-Interface-Module.htm

All that and you never mentioned if the link light comes on the switch. I don’t care about activity.

Also I am talking about the VLAN setting in the Polycom. You should also be able to see the status of the port from the Polycom menu as it should boot sip.ld from flash

derr

in my fourth para of my first post I said

“Just to confirm, I used a known working Cat5e cable between the 7000 and the switch, and where the LED on the switch should blink amber and then go to Green, no activity LED’s could be seen on the port of the switch ( the same port was used for a working 7000 and activity LED’s were blinking away)”

I should have said no “Link Light” comes on the switch either, sorry I get confused between activity LED’s flashing and “Link Lights”, they happen so quick :slight_smile:

Link light should illuminate continually.

Let me ask another way:

1 - On the phone what is Ethernet status
2 - On the managed switch what does the management interface say is the status of the port the 7000 is plugged into
3 - Is the VLAN field set on the phone in the Ethernet menu (would do all things you describe)

No Link Light - nada

1. when I press the About key, all that is shown is this

Server : Resolving …
IP Address : Resolving …
VLAN Resolving …

so I would say the Ethernet status on the phone is dead

1. The Netgear FS728TP ( PoE ) switch I am using does not report any status for Port 3 ( which is the port the 7000 is plugged into

2. Ethernet Menu

CDP = Disabled
VLAN ID = blank - no id no
VLAN Filtering = Disabled
Storm Filtering = Disabled
Lan Port Mode = Auto

NB have tried all the “Lan Port Mode” settings just is case,
10FD, 100FD, 10HD, 100HD etc

I have a feeling the firmware is not able to correctly setup the Ethernet PHY, I seem to remember this happening back at Boot Rom 4.1.2 and was fixed in 4.1.3

Does anyone know how I can load Boot Rom 4.3.1 onto the 7000 without using the ethernet connection, does the USB work, or does it have a JTAG connector inside the phone perhaps, I tried a crossover cable to my laptop and that did not work, it does seem that the PHY is buggered :frowning:

does anyone know the procedure for using the USB connector, or JTAG serial on these phones to force a new BootROM on the phone ?