Polycom not remaining registered

I’ve got several Polycom VVX300 that are set up with Endpoint Manager. They all work fine… except for one. This one will register when rebooted, but no longer shows registered after 2 minutes. The BLF lights continue to work and it can make calls, but does not ring on incoming calls. It’s set up with no customizations to the basefile in EPM, but maybe I need to do something for it to remain registered? Thanks for any ideas!

[2018-07-23 13:51:12] VERBOSE[29277] res_pjsip_registrar.c: Added contact 'sip:[email protected]:5060' to AOR '103' with expiration of 120 seconds
[2018-07-23 13:51:41] VERBOSE[29277] res_pjsip/pjsip_options.c: Contact 103/sip:[email protected]:5060 is now Reachable. RTT: 32.092 msec
[2018-07-23 13:53:13] VERBOSE[29278] res_pjsip/pjsip_options.c: Contact 103/sip:[email protected]:5060 has been deleted

Try turning off the automatic update check on the Polycom. I know that we have one (connected to Skype for Business… I wanted to connect it to our Asterisk, but… long story). Anyway, it would unregister and go offline regularly. I saw on a Polycom forum to turn off the automatic update check, and it resolved it.

Thanks for the reply, @gbaughma. Do you recall where you found the setting and what it was called?

After logging into my phone, I remember what the setting was now. It wasn’t about automatic updates; it was about sending diagnostic data.

On my Trio 8800, it’s under Settings --> Polycom Labs --> Send Diagnostic Data (I set mine to “Don’t Send”). I haven’t had a disconnect since.

I didn’t have that option, so installed the latest firmware. The option is there, but already disabled. The problem remains, even with the new firmware. I brought the phone back with me to that on another network with multiple Polycoms already working to try to narrow down the problem and rule out the firewall. Fingers crossed. Thanks for taking the time to try to help, though!

It will be the firewall. Change the SIP port on the one that’s playing up to something random. (Honestly, this is the solution. Set the local sip port on the polycom to be 9999 or something)

I’ll give it a try. However, all of the other phones (including other Polycoms) don’t seem to have a problem. If changing the port does work, is there some way to automate that via EPM?

Alright, so the phone works at this location, which also has four other Polycoms working. What I have noticed, thanks to @xrobau 's post, is that in “pjsip show endpoints”, only this phone shows that it’s using port 5060. All of the other phones, both Polycom and other, show their NAT port – anywhere from 1000 to 50000. I don’t suspect the firewall as it does the same in both locations and, again, four other Polycoms are working here and showing a NAT port. I compared the settings between this and a working Polycom through the web interface and they seem identical. I reset this phone to factory default and set it up manually (without EPM) and it still shows on port 5060. Weird.

A bit more searching lead me to the voIpProt.SIP.local.port setting on the Polycom. I used it to manually set the local SIP port to something other than 5060 and it works great. I’m going to find a way to automate that in the basefile (perhaps by using the extension as a variable), but I’m still baffled as to why some VVX300 pick up their own non-5060 port while this one doesn’t.

It’s not the phone, it’s the firewall (like I said originally). The firewall is doing SIP ALG, and remapping 5060 internally to $RANDOM externally.

Except that all of the other phones behind the same firewall are working…

All the other phones are getting remapped. Your firewall isn’t remapping this one.

Agreed! How come? :wink: It’s hard to imagine that I have an issue with firewalls at two different locations that only affect this phone.

Its the nature of many alg’s (sip helpers) they assume you have one sip device inside and try and map 5060 to what they think is the right internal ip, they are almost invariably incorrect.

1 Like

I’ve got SIP ALG disabled on the routers, but maybe I should turn it on to see what happens. :grin:

If you have SIP ALG turned off and you have multiple devices with their SIP ports on 5060 that then explains your problem.

1 Like

Albeit, some routers can successfully remap each local ip:port to individual external :port assignments , if both end routers maintain that one-to-one mapping then the individual connections remain robust.

I’ve never before heard someone recommend turning on SIP ALG… but I can give it a shot after hours today to see if it breaks the other phones! :wink:

SIP ALG is only for phones. If you have phones behind NAT, you need ALG (or, you need to have all your phones with different SIP Ports).

If you have SIP ALG in front of a SERVER, you’re going to have a bad time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.