Please help me understand

Hi,
hi,
In my dialplan i have this line
exten => s,n,Playback(/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/fr/custom/test)

In my sounds/fr/custom i have a wav file test.wav

When executing the dialplan i see in the log
[2018-01-29 22:22:19] VERBOSE[10303][C-00002fc7] file.c: <DAHDI/i1/2610995816-24d8> Playing ‘/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/fr/custom/test.slin’ (language ‘fr’)
Can someone please help me understand why a .slin file is played back when my original file is a .wav file. ?
Thank you

I’m going to guess that the call has been established using S-Linear/ALAW/ULAW, which calls for an slin file to be played to avoid transcoding.

The better question is why does the system think you want to play it as a Greek language file from the French language directory?

That doesn’t matter.Its not a problem.I edit my 1st post.wrong copy-paste.

OK - that’s cool.

The meat of your problem is still there. When you use the system to upload files, one of the steps (at the bottom of the upload screen) is to transcode the file into several different audio formats. You can try uploading the file again and make sure you create the ‘slin’ version of the file. That should solve your immediate problem.

If you can’t upload the file or if you are installing the files yourself, you can use ‘sox’ to transcode the files on the server. I recall that there’s also a program on the server that can do some of the transcoding - I don’t remember the name of it. Maybe @dicko can remind me?

There is no need to create the file, it will be generated as needed, DAHDI only supports g711 ulaw or alaw and because he is using fr then alaw, the path from wav to any codec is shown by

rasterisk -x “core show translation paths slin”

to play a file you always skip the extension. You can also skip the /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/ bit, because that is where asterisk will start looking

Never ask for a specific variety of the sound file, asterisk will deduce the best way and if your channel language is fr ( or gr :slight_smile: ) then /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/fr/ that would be searched first, and will always failback to /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/* if that fails then /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/en/*

In other words, it all works as expected for the OP and his curiosity is hopefully satisfied, he can if he wants save a few milliseconds per call by generating a codec specific recording

rasterisk -x "file convert " and read the result

so perhaps

rasterisk -x “file convert path/to/test.wav test.alaw” but personally I wouldn’t bother.

Thank you cynjut and dicko.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.