Play a custom recording for an incoming call

I would like to have a recording play for incoming calls and then have the system hang up. They purpose I am trying to accomplish is to set a did to play the recording to confirm that the call is getting into the system correctly and then hang up.

I have a custom recording. I figured out how to make an IVR play a recording and then hang up using a 0 timeout and a timeout message, but is there a way to do this with a custom extension. Specifically, I would like to be able to create an Add Extension > Other custom device > This device uses custom technology dial code.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Russ

(The reason I want an extension is it is easier to go through sipstation and point all dids to an extension quickly than to make a bunch of incoming routes point to an IVR)

Thanks. That was helpful.

I assume feature codes and work in the system just like an extension. Correct?

Upload your recording using System Recordings, make it an announcement using the Announcements module, then in your inbound route just point it to the announcement rather than an extension. System Recordings give you the opportunity to assign an optional Feature Code to access the recording, and if you don’t like the feature code it assigns you should be able to change it in the Feature Codes module (including to a number in your extension range). Alternately, you could use Misc. Applications to create a number pointing to your Announcement, which again could be a number in your extension number space.