PJSIP error parsing log messages with Polycom phones

My asterisk console is continuously flooded with PJSIP syntax error messages like below. I have been reading a lot of posts that are somewhat similar, but nothing has matched my issue to help resolve it. I’m running Asterisk 18.1.1 and recently switched from using SIP to PJSIP on my trunks (if that is helpful). I have non-Polycom phones configured that do not have this error message. Any help is appreciated.

[2021-03-10 07:47:48] ERROR[2649]: pjproject: <?>:             sip_transport.c Error processing 504 bytes packet from UDP 10.222.111.59:5060 : PJSIP syntax error exception when parsing 'Request Line' header on line 1 col 12:
SUBSCRIBE  SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 10.222.111.59;branch=z9hG4bKa68b08de648FBE29
From: "267" <sip:[email protected]>;tag=6864A205-4717B61C
To:
CSeq: 1 SUBSCRIBE
Call-ID: eec36155deb88b953deaa370a85afd22
Allow: INVITE,ACK,BYE,CANCEL,OPTIONS,INFO,MESSAGE,SUBSCRIBE,NOTIFY,PRACK,UPDATE,REFER
Event: dialog
User-Agent: PolycomVVX-VVX_301-UA/6.3.1.11465
Accept-Language: en
Accept: application/dialog-info+xml
Max-Forwards: 70
Expires: 3600
Content-Length: 0

-- end of packet.

The request line does not contain a URI, which it should. I don’t know Polycoms but it’s possible this is something to do with configuration of the phone.

Where would you have expected to see the URI in the request?

That should contain a URI[1].

SUBSCRIBE sip:[email protected] SIP/2.0

A method (SUBSCRIBE), URI, and version are required.

[1] RFC 3261 - SIP: Session Initiation Protocol

1 Like

Thanks for the help!

So this was caused by a bad line configuration for a Polycom VVX300 phone that had a line specified for speed dial with no extension specified. The phone was sending the SUBSCRIBE with no URI. The speed dial was meant to be a connect to voicemail. I now place the voicemail extension in the speed dial setting, that error message goes away, but I get a

NOTICE[12007]: res_pjsip_exten_state.c:418 new_subscribe: Endpoint '267' state subscription failed: Extension '*97' does not exist in context 'from-internal' or has no associated hint

or this if I specify the specific voicemail extension:

NOTICE[12007]: res_pjsip_exten_state.c:418 new_subscribe: Endpoint '267' state subscription failed: Extension '200' does not exist in context 'from-internal' or has no associated hint

About 5 years ago, an asterisk-only configuration was imported into FreePBX. I have extension 200 configured in Misc Application with a Misc Destinations of voicemail. The extension really doesn’t exist in context from-internal.

Should it? If so, what would that look like? Or do I have something misconfigured?

My changes for Poly voicemail on FreePBX (single line):

In sip-basic.cfg

<msg>
    <msg.mwi msg.mwi.1.callBackMode="contact" msg.mwi.2.callBackMode="registration"></msg.mwi>
  </msg>

In sip-interop.cfg

<msg msg.bypassInstantMessage="0">
    <msg.mwi msg.mwi.1.callBack="*97" msg.mwi.1.led="1" msg.mwi.1.subscribe="" msg.mwi.2.callBack="" msg.mwi.2.led="1" msg.mwi.2.subscribe="">
    </msg.mwi>

I hope that I didn’t miss anything. The result should be that the message light is on when you have voicemail and pressing the message button retrieves it. I don’t use speed dial for vm.

I used to use Polycom phones but I gave up. I was told Polycom no longer pays for Sangoma support so the hardware is aging out and is unsupported. I have had numerous issues getting buttons to update via EPM and have since switched to Grandstream and Sangoma phones. A lot less issues now. I also didnt like how the buttons on the phone would move around depending on how many buttons were programmed and there was no way to put a number on a specific button unless all the buttons before it were also programmed.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.