Phones Unable to Receive Inbound Calls after switching to Fiber

Hello,

I have a FreePBX instance hosted with Vultr that is working great. At my home office I have a few IP Phones (a Grandstream WP820 and 3 Aastra/Mitel 6869i phones) and an Adtran T924e channel bank to serve a couple of analog phones.

Earlier this week I upgraded my internet at home from AT&T Uverse VDSL (delivered via their BGW210 modem/router in IP Passthrough mode and handed off to my SonicWall) to AT&T 1gig Fiber (delivered via their BGW320 modem/router in IP Passthrough mode handed off to my Sonicwall). After upgrading my phones will register and can make outbound calls, but cannot receive inbound calls.

If I connect one of the devices to be directly on their modem then I can receive incoming calls, but not behind the SonicWall. I have SIP ALG turned off on the AT&T modem, however it seems that it is still doing something weird with the SIP packets. Has anyone run into this after upgrading from AT&T Uverse to Fiber?

Thanks,
Daniel

If you can now receive calls when plugging directly into the AT&T modem/router then it sounds like a Sonicwall config issue.

Have you looked at the session coming in on both your AT&T router and your Sonicwall to see where its being held up?

Some solid SW info in this thread: Happiness With Sonicwalls - It can happen!

Make sure you turn off SIP transformations in your Sonicwall. That is the most likely cause of inbound call failure.

You also need to configure a firewall rule containing your endpoints with an increased UDP timeout so your phones don’t go unreachable.

Hi All,

Thank you for all of your responses. I apologize for the delay in responding as it has been a busy few days.

Everything in the SonicWall turned out to be fine. I had used the guide mentioned above when I set it up years ago. The problem turned out to be the new AT&T modem. AT&T doesn’t allow for a full bridge mode, but rather a pass-through mode; which unfortunately means that the modem is still doing some NAT. Even though I had reset the NAT tables in the modem, which is supposed to clear any open connections, it did not. After doing a hard restart on the modem everything seems to be working fine now.

Thank you again for all of your assistance!

-Daniel

The IP passthrough setting in those AT&T modems is a bridge mode, but only to the device it is passing through to. This would normally be the MAC address of your SonicWall.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.