Petition to remove the check for updates on ssh login

https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-21947

On the Distro, when you login via ssh, you get an immediate status screen indicating if there are pending updates. There is also a check for updates that happens in the background which takes a while to complete. The displayed text is the result of the previous check, not the one that is happening currently on login, so the displayed info is often stale. It can also take a while for the background check to complete, during which time yum is locked.

It seems like a good idea, but the implementation causes more confusion than is solves. I think it should be removed, but wanted to solicit opinions (particularly opposing opinions) before doing so.

Thoughts from the community?

3 Likes

Wouldnā€™t improvement be a better way forward then removal?

Thatā€™s what this thread and the ticket are for. If you have suggestions, letā€™s hear them.

Full minimalist: remove the big MOTD and replace it with a one-liner that says ā€œType ā€˜fwconsole motdā€™ for status.ā€

Semi-minimalist: remove the FreePBX ASCII art and the notifications/updates and just show the IP addresses.

1 Like

Also, if you want to keep the yum status notification (which I pretty much ignore, so no ā€œdog in huntā€) put an "as of {datetime} " on it so people can more easily see that the message may be stale.

In fact, transitioning this check from ā€˜ssh loginā€™ to ā€˜every tuesday at midnightā€™ might not be a bad idea.

No dog in this race either but many choices with

https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/using-yum-cron

and sending the cron jobs output into /etc/motd perhaps ?

1 Like

people who donā€™t like it can put a exit at the top of /etc/profile.d/z001-updates.sh

This should probably be a cron rather than a login script.

If the information is more than 15 minutes stale, Iā€™m of the opinion that itā€™s no good, and causes more confusion than it corrects. I donā€™t think running a cron 4 times an hour forever, is an efficient way to address this narrow use case, again my opinion. If an admin needs to see update status on login, they can run a command and wait for output that is current, otherwise they can go about their business and not think about it.

2 Likes

I honestly donā€™t remember the conversation when this was added but I am sure there was one.
I feel this would have been discussed. Not positive but I am guessing this was something rob wrote.

When I open my terminal using zsh it will prompt me about updates every so often.

My next great idea would be to make it an ā€œadvanced settingā€ or a setting in moduleadmin where people can choose to run it or not. Then the debate (much simpler) becomes what is the default behavior.

Are you being queried to update zsh or ohmyzsh ? Apt or yum will do the zsh updating stuff, ohmyzsh is more dynamic.

Iā€™m all for this. I canā€™t tell you how many times Iā€™ve had a busted install and I couldnā€™t login because a module was broken. It. also wrecks debug, but thatā€™s another issue.

Simple. Just give the user the option on a simple user configurable flag on any init file and thenā€¦
[[ $KEEPQUIET ]] || echo "The British are coming..."

I agree that you should remove it. The information is readily available in the web interface. If Iā€™m going to the command line, Iā€™m busy with something more important.

4 Likes

As for the stale info on pending updates, Iā€™d like to see it either removed or timestamped (donā€™t care which). The stale info is mildly annoying.

As for automatically starting a check for updates on ssh login, DEFINITELY remove it. I donā€™t want/need this info every time I log in. When I do want it Iā€™ll issue the appropriate command(s) myself.

@lgaetz: Glad you brought this up.

can you keep a secretā€¦ they are already hereā€¦

1 Like

I would say remove the MOTD, its more confusing than helping at the moment.

It is already useless if you use any decent security process that involves not using the $%^ing root user in the first place.

Because the script that fires checks if it is root or not and then never updates.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

New Advanced setting disabled by default

framework 15.0.17.5 available from edge now.

5 Likes